Chapter 74: Not Exactly

Sistine's POV:

An uneasy feeling churns in my stomach as I step into the balcony. I've successfully given my gifts to my friends, the only gifts left being my gift for Ray and the giraffe plushie and keychain in my room.

To this day, I still don't know how I'm gonna give those things. I managed to give Norman my gift— a keychain and the slap bracelet, as expected— but I don't know how I'm supposed to give the giraffes...

"Norman said you were waiting for me," I blurt out. "Is that true?"

Ray looks over his shoulder with a little smile, causing me to stand beside him. "What took you so long?" he snickers.

"I had to help distribute the other gifts..." I mutter sheepishly, staring at the floor as an apology. "Sorry."

"It's okay," the ravenette replies, petting my head. "I just wanted to talk."

"About what?" I ask, lifting my eyes

He averts his eyes with a smile, crossing his arms on the railing and turning to the night sky. "It's really cold, huh?" he asks, earning a hum from me. "You know, Ayshe just gave me the cutest Christmas gift ever."

"A punch in the face?" I guess, chuckling.

"Actually, it was a picture of you sleeping with my jacket on," he corrects, causing my face to flush bright red. "She even made a frame for it with Carol and Nayla."

"ARE YOU SERIOUS!?" I shriek, making him chuckle.

"You wanna see?"

"No!" I squeak, hiding my face with the gift box. "I don't want to see something like that! I look ridiculous!"

"You look adorable!" he laughs. "The hell are you talking about?"

"You're just trying to make me feel better!" I huff, hugging the gift box in my hands and turning away from him.

Ray snickers at my behavior. "Is it working?"

"No! Because I know you're lying!"

"Whatever. Either way, I'm keeping that picture. It's too cute to give up." I grumble in annoyance, earning an amused sigh from him. "So, how's the little firefighter?"

"What?" I ask, turning to him.

"The kid," Ray rephrases, looking back at me. "The one you planned on giving a fire extinguisher plushie?"

"Ah, him," I giggle, ignoring the heat rising to my cheeks. "I haven't given it to him yet."

"You serious?" he reacts, his eyes widening a little. I nod in reply. "If you're uneasy with giving the gift to him, I could give it for you." I shake my head, hugging the gift box tighter as I close my eyes and hide them with my bangs. "... Are you okay?"

"Uhm..." I turn to him, refusing to look at him. I hold out the gift box, keeping my head low and my eyes closed. "Here. It, uh... wasn't exactly for a kid..."

He takes the gift box, his hands brushing mine until I let go of the box. I open one eye to see his reaction, only for me to open both eyes upon seeing the calm smile on his face.

He fiddles with the gift tag, his smile widening a fraction. "So it was mine?" he asks. I nod my head, which makes the ravenette sigh and shake his head. "No wonder you freaked out when I saw you. Geez, and here I thought you were giving it to one of the antisocial children..."

"Close enough," I pout.

"Can I open it?" he asks curiously, an interested gleam in his eyes, despite already knowing what's in it.