Chapter 26: Live and Protect

Isabella's POV:

"They're nowhere to be found!" the search party reports through the radio. "We speculate that they've already somehow escaped plantation grounds!"

"Low quality 6," Grandmother counts in angry disappointment, checking who the plantation has lost, "average quality 3, good quality 2, high quality 2... and premium quality 2! 15 total... what an extraordinary loss!

"73584... what an unforgivable mistake on your part! Just why... this isn't like you at all!" She keeps wondering, thinking of how I could have possibly messed this up. "This isn't right... It's you we're talking about... How..."

"No..." I utter, accepting my defeat. Ready to take the blame. "This is entirely my fault."

"We've located footsteps around the north-eastern edge," the leader of the entities commands to his comrades. "Send out individuals to go after them as soon as possible! Let the surrounding areas know what's going on as well! We've got premium goods on the loose... And by that, I mean our premium goods!

"Of course, whether they're dead or alive... let them know that we'll be sure to provide due compensation for turning in the goods."

Grandmother turns away from them and glares at me. She snarls, "As for you, I might as well have you eliminated here and now!" She lifts a hand to command one of the entities to my right, but their leader stops her.

"Wait." Grandmother turns and gives him a frown for interrupting her. Even so, the entity continues. "I have one question to ask."

"Make it quick so she can be eliminated as soon as possible."

I turn to the entity, who only asks for one thing:

"The child."

"I'm sorry?" I reply in confusion.

"82194. The child that the duke asked for. Where is she?"

It disappoints me to say this, but... "She was taken with them," I answer.

"She was WHAT!?" Grandmother screeches. "Unbelievable! I could have spared you if you had just kept her with you! We lost a mastermind, Isabella! If that child didn't betray us, she would have been-!"

The entity raises a hand to stop Grandmother, making her even more frustrated. However, knowing that he is of higher authority, she keeps her mouth shut. "Let her speak."

"Sir, this is absurd-!"

"'She was taken.' That's what 73584 said. If she has an explanation as to why the child isn't with her, she has the right to be spared." Grandmother turns to me with an expecting glare, and all I could do was...

... bring out the letter.

The entity reads it in silence, and eventually he nods in understanding. "So the child was forcefully taken with them?"

"Yes," I answer. "I prioritized the children and the removal of the fire, so I was not present when the other children took her away."

He nods once again, saying, "73584 is spared."

"And where exactly will she go?" Grandmother scowls.

"We will find 82194. She will be sent straight to the capital so that she will be under the care of Archduke Leuvis. We will find her as quickly as we can, lest she be close to death. Miss Isabella...

"We are assigning you as her personal caretaker."

Ray's POV:

What first appears to be a normal forest soon evolves into one I have never seen before. The trees loom over us like steady giants, and its massive roots make it harder and harder for us to move faster.

Incredible... So this is the outside world. What is this, a primeval forest? This is completely different from the forest we were in just minutes ago!

Everything is just enormous! So much more than what I saw in pictures and drawings!

What is this? I've seen nothing like this in the books back at the House! I wanted to try and figure out our location by observing our surroundings but...

This isn't going to be as easy as I thought. Just what in the world...

I catch something move from my peripheral vision, causing me to whirl my head towards its location in a snap. Only to find...

Nothing... so it was probably just my imagination. Even so, I have to stay alert.

Emma just announced our first stop. Currently, the kids are eating breakfast while Emma and I stay guard, searching for any sign of predators. I finished checking earlier than her, which isn't much of a surprise; she's zoning out for the most part.

Using a water bottle, I bonk her head. "Heyoooooo."

"'Heyo'!?" Emma reacts, snapping out of her pensive daze.

"We're fine," I tell her. "At the very least, there aren't any wild predators in this area. I can't find any footprints or droppings in the area... Tracks are always helpful, just like they are in tag."

I hand her the water bottle, saying, "Go rest a little. I'll take your place."

"... Thanks!" As Emma prays for her food, I look around the area to keep watch. Once she finishes, I utter an apology. "Huh?"

"If I had been part of the plan from the start..." I explain, "Maybe you wouldn't have had to hurt your hand and ear."

The green-eyed girl giggles, saying, "Don't worry about it! I'm happy as long as you're happy and alive!"

I glance at her as she takes a bite from a piece of bread. I wanted to say more, but I might be disturbing her. However, her curious look gives me a reason to speak. "Just now, I also apologized to Anna," I start. "But her response was... 'More importantly, happy birthday!'

"I can't believe... I was ready to let them die before. Despite that, everyone is so nice to me."

Seeing how much they've grown, how much they learned to care and look after each other... I think I already know what choice I have to make.

"Emma... I'm going to live," I decide. "I'm going to live and protect my family. Same as you... I'm going to protect every single one of them. This time... This time, I truly promise.

"No matter what happens, I won't cut them off."

Emma gives me an appreciative smile, like she's proud of me, happy that I've finally learned.  I want to help her. I want to help everyone.

I don't want Norman's death to go to waste.

"So don't think too hard on your own," I tell Emma. "Let's do it together... A world where we can all safely survive... With the help of our family!"

Simply imagining it brings a bigger smile to Emma's face. "Yeah!"