Chapter 7: Midnight Conversations

Sistine's POV:

Emma exclaims in surprise upon finding Little Bernie, Connie's toy, on the table. "Connyyyy?! How could you!?" she reacts, picking up the little, white stuffed animal. Connie already departed a few minutes ago, and all I can assume is that this is Ray's doing.

Geez, taking away her only toy before she dies, Ray? That's just harsh.

I turn to glare at Ray, who merely whistles and averts his eyes. Why, that little...

"What should I do!?" Emma sighs, her fluffy, orange hair drooping in defeat.

"I mean... she already left!" adds Gilda, another one of my mother-like siblings. That's kind of weird to say, since she's most presumably younger than me... but still, she acts like an older sister to me.

Ray immediately enters the conversation, saying, "It's too early to say that." The girls turn to him in confusion, and he responds, "Just now, I saw some lights turned on over at the gate through the bathroom window. Mama went to see Conny off and hasn't returned yet, either. There's definitely a possibility that she still hasn't left yet."

"Let's bring it to her," Norman tells Emma, that same heartwarming smile on his face. Emma turns to him as he says, "Although it's probably just better to ask Mama to send it to her later... "It's best for Conny's sake if we hurry," right?"

An adorable, cat-like smile forms on Emma's mouth, and she nods her head cutely.

And so, it's decided.

I watch as the two of them head to the backdoor, turning to Ray the moment they leave. One by one, the other kids start heading upstairs to sleep, and soon that leaves the two of us here.

He keeps his hands on his pockets, walking to stand right next to me. "So, what are you thinking abo-!"

Before he can finish his sentence, I elbow him hard in the stomach, whispering in a hiss, "Did you seriously have to use Little Bernie as an excuse!? That was her favorite toy, gosh dang it!"

"It was the most convenient excuse I could think of," Ray replies. "Either way, she isn't bringing that with her to Heaven."

"She could have at least held it with her before she d--!" 

"Not too loud. Someone might hear you." he interrupts instantly, covering my mouth.

I hastily pull on his arm, moving his hand away from my face. "This is insane."

"Trust me," he says, lighting up a portable lamp. "This is going to work."

"Yeah, sure, unless Emma and Norman get caught and die," I scowl.

He turns to return the frown, saying, "This is the only time I've ever been positive here. Be proud of me for once."

"You're hoping for something that might change their perception of the world for the rest of their lives. What's there to be proud of?"

He groans in annoyance, saying, "Believe me. You three will definitely escape this hell hole."

"Yeah, more like you three are escaping," I correct.

"No," he growls strictly. "You, Emma, and Norman. You three are escaping this place and there's nothing you can do about it."

"Unless you somehow survive your own suicide."

"Shut up."

Suddenly, we hear the door open, making me let out a little squeak and hide behind Ray. "What was that!?" I panic, looking up at my fellow sibling.