Chapter 15: Different Endings

Sistine's POV:

"Wha... demons? and a "farm"?" Don uttered in disbelief. Gilda covered her mouth in fear, her eyes wide open. Her legs trembled like a terrified lamb, threatening to collapse at any moment.

Emma started adding up to it. "Also..." She explained Ray's current position, as if they really needed to know that. It's no surprise that Don punched them for it. For me, at least. It's common sense.

I mean, seriously, one kid was drawn to her death by someone she trusted.

Conny trusted Ray so much. She loved him as much as she loved Don. It was insane to think that telling them the truth about Ray would help.

... It pains me to think that she died without knowing the truth.

Sometimes, I wonder how she felt when she died. Did she feel betrayed? Because she didn't have Little Bernie with her? Because Ray "borrowed" it and never gave it back? Because she didn't have the one valuable thing that she can bring until she "leaves"?

Sometimes I wonder if Conny's mad at us.

I know, she seems far too innocent to ever get mad, but... I don't know. It's just a what-if.

"I already know why you lied to us," was what brought me back to reality. To the fight in front of me.

Don...

"It's because you wanted to keep us safe, right?" Don asks, making me flinch, gripping tightly on whatever I could hold to keep my balance. I could feel tears forming on my own eyes as I see him slowly start to break down. "I get it. Still.... I thought you guys... wanted us to help you out!

"It's frustrating. It's depressing." His breath grows shaky with every word flowing out of his mouth like a river of pain. "It's true that we aren't as smart as you guys are. Nobody can deny that fact! But..."

My tears start flowing down as he cries, "... we're family! We're siblings! We just wanted you... to have a little faith in us!"

I collapse on the floor, to which Sister Krone could care less. I hug my legs and rest my eyes on my knees, hoping that the tears would stop.

Should I just leave matters into Emma's hands? She's closer to them than I ever will be. But...

Don... man, he cares so much about family. Emma used to be like that, too. But ever since she found out about the secret, she seems to have forgotten that her siblings are even there.

That's what I like about Don. It's one of his strengths, after all.

Even if he can be rather playful, he still has a big heart. A big love for his family, even if his family lies to him to his face. It seems almost unconditional.

... I've never been one to accept defeat, especially if Emma takes the victory. But this time...

... I guess I just have to take it.

For Don. For Gilda.

For the entire House...

... I wish I could have just loved them normally.

After both teams cool off, they team up again, with the trio putting their full trust in Don and Gilda. They proceed with their plan of escaping this place. Meanwhile...

"I should ask them to team up, too."

Yeah, that's what Sister Krone tells me excitedly, to which I couldn't help but frown. "And you think that would work?" I ask her, and she nods. "You're an adult, aren't you? Shouldn't you be, I dunno, smarter than them?"

"Are you insulting me?" Sister Krone frowns back.

"It can't be helped," I tell her. "Look, if you're planning to become a Mama, you would just obey Mama's orders. It can't be that hard for you..."

The frown of the curly-haired woman deepens. "Believe me. This is going to work. I hold the other half of the information they need. I'm sure they won't let this opportunity slide!"

"Sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard-!"

Sister Krone smacks me upside the head. "Oh, shut up, will you?"

A small grumble escapes my lips, walking away from the scene. "I'm going to bed," I mutter. "Good night, Sister Krone."

That was obviously a lie. I go to Mama's room, sliding a piece of paper under the small space under the door. The paper reports Sister Krone's acts of rebellion, as well as informing Mama to investigate further. It's just enough for her to be transferred, but not enough to get killed.

Sister Krone's fate depends on how she acts, and on how much Mama will see from her actions.

As soon as I enter my room, I pull out the notebook I hid in the back of my shirt, flipping through the pages to find any possibilities for this outcome. As I do, I write them down on a blank page.

1. Sister Krone still won't be trusted, and they will continue their escape without her.

2. They end up trusting Sister Krone, leading them to their own deaths

3. They end up trusting Sister Krone, but she spares their lives, which seems highly unlikely.

4. They act like they trust Sister Krone, but extract all the information she can give before they do.

"Hm..." I find myself muttering. That last one... would that actually work...?

I decide to stay up all night, working out the results that could happen if I follow that ending. In the end, I actually find it working!

If they extract the information they need, they could easily find Mama's disadvantages, and even Sister Krone herself. They could have an idea of the outside world, and even find a way to escape! Sister Krone's transfer would most likely be in about 2 days, so it should be perfectly fine!

Also, if Mama thinks she's still useful, that would help, too! Sister Krone's stay will be extended!

But...

... What if the cliff outside the wall is never mentioned?

Isabella's POV:

"This is Number 73584 from Plant 3. Reporting in," I speak through the radio. "October 31, no abnormalities. However, I have observed something with Sister Krone's actions. Sistine has reported that she has a plan on rebelling. I have a feeling that she might betray us soon. My suggestion is that we either transfer her to a different plantation or eliminate her as a whole."

I proceed with my report without flaw or hesitation until I finally start checking out. But before I could, the person on the other line speaks, "Isabella, hold on."

"Yes, Grandmother?" I ask, paying close attention to her.

"Archduke Leuvis sent the plantation a message. He says that he's coming to visit Sistine again tomorrow. Because of this, no shipments until January 2046, for the Tafari. Make sure to be ready for that."

"And at what time will Archduke Leuvis arrive?" I ask. I receive the answer immediately, which is tomorrow this afternoon, the same time that he always does. Honestly, to think that a duke from their race would be interested in a human, of all things. Then again, it can't really be helped. Sistine is a prodigy, after all...

"As for Sister Krone, you need not worry about her," Grandmother says. "I'll be sure to handle her. If there is anything else you need, I will be happy to assist."

"I understand." And so, the call ends.

Did... Did Grandmother just call her by her actual name...?