I. Very Wise

Chapter One:
Soroya

I wake up with the sun shining in my eyes. I squint as I pry them open, seeing the tall buildings of Wakanda sparkle as the sun rises. As much as it annoys me now, I'm grateful I have such big windows in my room. Wakanda takes my breath away. Rolling over onto my side, I force my eyes open, looking out the window and taking in this extravagant country in.

When we first arrived in Wakanda a few days ago, I remember Alex and I staring in awe at how beautiful this country is. I remember feeling terrified as we went through the invisible barrier. Smartphones are one thing to wrap my head around, but a forcefield out of Star Wars is another. I couldn't form words when I set eyes on the flowing rivers, green trees, and glistening buildings. I still can't. It's breathtaking.

Steve landed the jet at the palace, and there to meet us was King T'Challa, his mother, and his sister. Steve greeted each of them before informing us he needed to get going. I thanked him profusely, not just for bringing us here, but for protecting Bucky. He squeezed my hand, sending a nod over to my brother before getting back onto the plane.

King T'Challa is much younger than I would have thought, no older than me. He has the pure air and grace I expect a king to have. He has been nothing but kind to us since we arrived. He's also brilliant and handsome as well. His sister is also quite extraordinary. She's absolutely bright and beautiful. It shocked me to learn she's only sixteen.

T'Challa gave us both rooms in his palace, with full access to go anywhere we liked within the Wakanda border. He gave us a personal tour of Wakanda, and I found that not only is the country itself beautiful, but the people are lovely too. They're always smiling, always safe, and happy. In the streets, there are markets where some of the best smelling food I have ever encountered is being sold. There are beautiful fabrics and clothes worn by the young and old. The houses, though simple and small, are just as warm and welcoming as the people who live in them.

Outside of the city there are many farms where animals are raised and many lakes reside. T'Challa also took this time to explain to us what Wakanda was, and how it came to be. I must say it was the most silent I've ever seen Alex. He found the history of this beautiful country just as fascinating as I did.

In this tour, we were shown Shuri's lab. It is ginormous, with tinted glass walls, white metal interior, and technology to match Tony Stark's. She works in the lower level of the lab, where other scientists bustle around at her disposal. In this part of her lab, the cryogenic chamber containing Bucky resides. I almost cried at the sight of him.

Shuri reassures me that she will find a way to cure him of his brainwashing. She also told me I could come and visit him anytime I'd like. I have taken her up on that offer. I go and see Bucky at least once a day. Alex has pointed out how pathetic that is. I do have to admit he has a point. I sit there next to the chamber for over an hour. He was frozen for the better part of seven decades. He told me once that he has nightmares of being frozen in chambers just like this. I don't want him to feel scared or alone.

Letting out a sigh, I roll out of bed, still trying to get used to how comfortable this mattress is. I remember the bed Bucky and I slept in England feeling like a marshmallow. The bed I have here feels like a cloud. It has gold-colored blankets and pillows, which match the gold curtains that do a terrible job of blocking out the sunlight. The walls are dark grey with different Wakandan patterns painted in white. The tiles are a shiny charcoal black, cold to the touch as I walk across them towards my dresser.

The clothes they gave us are not only beautiful but fit us perfectly. The outfit I pick for today is a loose black blouse with white waves painted on the edges and the pants to match it. I also put on the beautiful black sandals they gave me.

They also provided us both with desks to put our belongings on, a television, and a radio, which Alex and I both use frequently. Alex's room is right next to mine. He's been rather tired lately since I've had him train every day, not only in shifting but also in combat.

When I walk out of my room, I make my way down the long spiral staircase, seeing several different people scrambling around. T'Challa's coronation ceremony is in a few days, and all of Wakanda is preparing for the ceremony: delivering clothes, preparing boats, practicing ceremonial dances. It's been chaos. T'Challa invited Alex and me to the ceremony. I accepted on behalf of us both, surprised continuously at his hospitality.

As I walk through the palace, I find T'Challa sitting alone in his throne room, seeming to be lost in thought. Curiosity and concern floods through me, so I walk into the room, watching his eyes fly up to meet mine.

"You look distracted, your highness," I say, stopping behind one of the council seats, resting my hands on the top of it.

"I told you to call me 'T'Challa,'" he says, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. "I wouldn't say I'm distracted, though. I'm just thinking about the ceremony."

"Becoming a king must be exciting."

He nods, but not that convincingly. "Sargent Barnes told me you lost your father?"

I bow my head solemnly, pushing some of my hair behind my ear. "And my mother."

He nods, a look of pain and understanding in his eyes. "Does it ever get easier?"

I decide to sit down in the seat next to his, finally understanding why the ceremony is bothering him: he's becoming king because his father died. No child should ever have to deal with the pain of losing their parent.

"When my parents died, it felt like a part of me died with them. For the longest time, it was hard even to breathe. But I had my brother, and I had Bucky. They helped me get through it as you have people to help you," I place my hand gently on his arm, watching the same pain in my eyes mirrored in his. "The pain will never go away, but every day it does get a little easier."

The last two years of us being on the run didn't give me much time for grieving. Alex and I dealt with it in our way, mostly by just taking each day one at a time. At least T'Challa got to bury his father, got to have a funeral. We had to leave our mother back at the base...there isn't anything left of our father to bury. I don't like to think about it too much.

T'Challa takes in a deep breath, looking at the council seats around him. "I don't know if I'm ready."

"I may have only known you a few days, but I can already tell you'll be a great king."

T'Challa scoffs, looking back at me. "Really? How?"

"Because you are a good man. The world is filled with leaders who have their own agendas or who only want for power. You care about your people. You care about keeping them safe. That's why you'll be a great king."

T'Challa smiles at me. "Barnes was right: you are very wise."

I smile back, feeling my sadness briefly fade as the image of Bucky appears in my mind. "Thank you, T'Challa. For everything."

He knows what I mean by that, merely placing his hand over mine, standing up. "Let me walk you to Shuri's lab. I know that's where your place is."

Next Bucky. He doesn't have to say it for me to know that's what he means. He's right, that is my place. And his is next to me.