XXVIII. I Dreamt Of You

Chapter Twenty-Eight
Soroya

Today the Jabari mean business. During our training sessions we spend a few hours using weapons and a few hours just doing hand to hand. I think Khari is trying to exact vengeance on me; therefore purposely giving me these hugely built warriors to fight off. Thank god I have powers, because if I didn't, I think my bones would be broken. One woman in particular I swear is twice my size. At one point she managed to push me against the floor so hard it knocked the wind out of me.

By the time I got to practice with Khari I was already exhausted. He managed to win the fight easily. As he helps me to my feet, my suspicions are confirmed when he smiles and says: "2-15."

I roll my eyes. "You cheated."

He scoffs. "I did no such thing."

I grab my bottle of water and chug down half of its contents, giving Khari the rest. "What are you and Alex doing tonight?"

"We're having dinner back in Jabariland, which you're still welcome to—"

I shake my head. "Khari I appreciate it, but I am fine. I can't intrude on any more of your dates—"

"You're not intruding! Not at all and I don't want you to think you're a burden. I don't make these offers just because you're Alex's sister. You're my friend. I enjoy your company."

I grab onto his hand and smile at him. "You're my friend too, which is all the more reason to give you two some time alone. I want you both to be happy."

"And we want you to be happy, too."

I sigh. "I am happy...I don't know it's complicated."

Khari squeezes my hand. "When it comes to matters of the heart it always is. Are you sure you will be okay tonight?"

I nod. "You two have fun. I am really tired after today anyways." I say glaring at him playfully.

Khari doesn't look sorry at all. "At least I'm catching up to you. I do want you to come back to Jabariland soon though. I just did a new painting I really want to show you and my mother has missed you."

I smile softly. "Tell her I'll come by soon. What did you paint a picture of?" I ask.

"It's a painting of the panther statue in the city. I can't wait for you to see it."

"I can't wait either." I say, walking towards the door of the armory. "I'll see you tomorrow, Khari."

I tell my suit to activate once I get outside, shifting and flying towards the palace. When I make it to my room I do genuinely feel exhausted. I can't sleep now though or else I'll wake up way too early and my whole sleeping schedule will be messed up.

I try to think if there's a movie I want to watch, but nothing comes to mind. I end up grabbing onto my iPod and scrolling through my library and clicking on Taylor Swift, who has now become a new favorite of mine. I decide to finally go through the rest of my childhood boxes. I had put off organizing my mother's jewelry for so long, but today is the perfect day.

I start to lay out the jewelry, and like I feared, some of it has become knotted and jumbled together over the years. As I start to detangle three of my mother's necklaces, 'Style'' comes on. I start to sing aloud to it as I get to my favorite part of the song: "You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye, and I got that red lip, classic thing that you like. And when we go crashing down, we come back every time. 'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style."

As I continue to sing, I find what looks to be Papa's old pocket watch; the one he had gotten from our Grandfather. I remember Papa told Alex when we were growing up that he would get this when he turned eighteen. I smile down at the object, collecting the jewelry I have untangled on the floor and placing them on the dresser, pushing the box aside. I grab hold of the pocket watch and open the door, finding that it whacks into a heavy object in front of it. I hear a groan. As I walk into the hall, I find Bucky rubbing his side.