XXXI: Thanos

Chapter Thirty-One:
Soroya

The fighting got easier when Thor arrived. I have to admit, seeing him send lightning bolts at the creatures is really cool. Even his friends are being helpful; his tree friend sending his arms through the chests of the creatures and the talking raccoon is a pretty good shot.

A creature's claws nearly graze me, so I shift back into human form and pick up one of the spears from a fallen Wakandan warrior, slicing at the creatures that way. A huge hoard of them come towards Bucky and I manage to keep a few off his back. Bucky picks up the talking raccoon and begins spinning in a circle, with the raccoon shouting: "Come on! Get some!" The entire time.

I stab one more creature and walk towards Bucky, who sets the raccoon down. He stares up at Bucky and asks: "How much for the gun?"

"Not for sale." Bucky says shooting at another creature a few feet away.

"Okay, how much for the arm?" The raccoon asks.

Bucky and I share a look and then glance down at the raccoon, who as we walk away mutters: "Oh I'll get that arm."

It seems like the amount of creatures is never ending. I turn to Bucky with an idea. "Here in Wakanda they have rhinos that the warriors ride on and shoot from."

Bucky doesn't seem to get what I'm saying, so I grab onto his arm and give him a pointed look. "I'll shift into one so you can shoot them from above and I'll impale them with my horn."

Bucky has a look of both amusement and confusion. "You want me to ride you?"

"Just don't think about it too hard." I tell him, stepping back a few feet as I shift into a rhino. I turn my head to look at him and gesture for him to hop on. With a shake of his head he does so. I begin sprinting through the creatures, jabbing them with my horn and watching them fall to the ground from getting hit with Bucky's bullets. My idea is working.

Or at least it was for a while. We hear a distant rumbling coming from the alien ships and it makes me stop. Shifting back into a human, I realize a second too late that Bucky is still on top of me. He comes crashing to the ground, bringing me down with him. We both look towards the barrier as he helps me to my feet. My breath catches in my chest as something travels under the barrier and breaks through the ground, looking like rotating blades that rip across the grass like a lawn mower.

"Fall back! Fall back, now!" T'Challa screams into the coms, just as he jumps away from the blade about to crush him.

I shift into a harpy eagle and grab hold of Bucky's arm, flying him away from the blade. I drop him a little ways away, finding with a sinking in my stomach that another set of them have popped up.

"Focus that fire on the left flank, Sam." Rhodes yells.

"I'm doing it!"

I help to fight off two creatures attacking Okoye and Natasha, with Bucky still firing at the creatures a few feet away. One of the blades is coming right at us and there's nothing we can do.

The four of us brace ourselves just as Wanda Maximoff drops to the ground, waving her hands in the air and lifting the four blades up into the sky. She sends them flying towards the creatures rushing towards us, crushing them instantly.

Not only did she save our lives, but she did it with the coolest powers I've ever seen. Natasha shares my look of amazement, while Okoye says with a gesture to the now fallen blades: "Why was she up there all this time?"

With Wanda now on the field, she manages to fend off a lot of the creatures, giving Okoye, Natasha, and I a bit of a break. Bucky goes over to where Alex and Khari are struggling to fend off some of the beasts. I'm about to go there as well when Sam says into the coms: "Guys, we have a Vision situation here."