LIII. A Beautiful Life

Chapter Fifty-Three
Soroya

A few days after the funeral, I find myself back at the ruins of the Avengers compound. Bruce has been working his butt off to get the time machine up and running again and I think he's finally done it.

We had Scott test it earlier yesterday. He returned from his journey with a post card from 1999 New York. So clearly the machine works.

Bruce is firing up the machine now while Steve, Bucky, Sam and I stand around, starring at the rubble of the compound.

"I'm so thankful I didn't leave that much stuff in my room." I comment.

Steve sighs. "Yeah, at least I had an apartment. Most of the others had everything here."

"Do you guys have insurance?" Sam asks.

Steve shakes his head. "Hard to find insurance for an Avengers base."

Bruce gets the machine ready, handing Steve the case filled with the Infinity Stones. "Remember you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them or you're gonna end up opening a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

Steve grasps the case tightly. "Don't worry, Bruce. I'll clip all the branches."

"You know I tried. With the gauntlet, I tried to bring her back. I miss her, man."

Steve nods solemnly. "Me too."

The weight of Nat's absence was hard, especially after the funeral we held for her here a few days ago. I missed my friend dearly, but took comfort that her sacrifice wasn't in vain.

Bucky and I are standing over towards the machine. I watch as Steve and Sam make their way closer to us, with Sam offering to help Steve return the stones.

"You're a good man, Sam. This one is on me though." He tells him, shaking his hand firmly.

Steve walks over towards us, smiling at me widely. "Keep him out of trouble, will you?"

I glance back at Bucky before smirking at Steve. "I will try my best...be careful, Steve." I tell him, pulling him in for a hug. He returns this embrace with enthusiasm; squeezing me very tightly.

He smiles at me one more time before turning his attention to his best friend. I feel confusion wash over me at the sorrow in Bucky's eyes. I try to figure out why.

"Don't do anything stupid until I get back."

Bucky grins ironically. "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you."

I smile to myself, remembering when they said this to each other before Bucky went off to war, though at the time those words were reversed. Steve pulls Bucky in for an embrace. Bucky looks even sadder as he pulls back.

"I'm gonna miss you, buddy." He says, his voice strained.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck." Steve assures him. Bucky smiles at his best friend despite how he's obviously feeling.

Steve walks onto the smaller scaled platform, where the same glowing red arms hum as the machine turns on. Steve picks up Thor's hammer and activates his suit, clicking the helmet on last.