XXIII. Brainstorming

Chapter Twenty-Three:
Soroya

Today was my first day of working with Okoye. We met the Jabari warriors, led by Khari, just at the border. The amount of Border Tribesmen left from Killmonger's reign was down to about a third of what it once was. So, Khari and I were in charge of selecting Jabari warriors to pick up the duties of the missing members.

A lot of the people living near the border didn't like the Jabari being so close. Khari and I could sense that, so we set up a small gathering to allow the Wakandans to meet some of the Jabari. It helped that Khari was there, since he was the leader of the entire Jabari army. Once people saw how warm and friendly he was, they were less scared of the others.

Okoye and the other Dora Milaje helped teach the Jabari about our weapons once they got their new positions on the border. I can tell she enjoys the job, probably welcoming any distraction.

We quickly formed a routine; go to the next border position, pick Jabari warriors, try to relax the Wakandans, then let Okoye teach them about weapons. At the third border position, while the other Jabari were interacting with the local Wakandans, Khari and I decided to take a break. We sit on a log a few yards away from the others.

"You're a natural at this," I say bumping my shoulder with his. "You're a born leader."

He smiles at me, looking back at the Jabari warriors, watching them laughing with some children who came to meet them. "This is everything I've ever wanted for my country. I'm just happy to help."

We both stay silent for a minute, before a question comes from Khari. By the sound of his voice, he has been wanting to ask this for some time now. "When you both came back...your brother seemed different. Not as...well not his usual self. Why is that?"

I turn to face him a little more. "He said that after seeing what a monster Killmonger is, he wanted to change how he viewed others because he fears becoming like him."

That was not the answer Khari was expecting. He looks surprisingly sad, maybe even guilty. "In the name of Hanuman," he mutters. "I am so sorry, this is all my fault. I kept telling him he should open up to others more and not act out of fear of getting hurt, I never meant—"

"Khari! Khari it isn't your fault!" I say, placing a hand on his arm. "He drew parallels to Killmonger on his own. In fact, Alex said a huge reason why he wanted to change was because of you. Because of seeing your influence on people and how good of a person you are."

Khari looks at a lost for words. From the moment I met him I could tell how he felt about my brother, but it's in this moment I see how much. "He said that?"

I nod. I can see a wide grin spread on his face, and it makes me happier than words could express. If I could pick anyone to be with my brother, it would be Khari.

Khari adds after a moment. "I wanted to tell you, that I'm truly sorry about what happened to your parents. Alex told me before you both left...I can't even imagine."

I squeeze his hand. "Thank you. You talk to your mother and father often?"

He nods. "Whenever I have time off from my duties I try to see them. They're more than thrilled about what's happening between the Jabari and the rest of Wakanda. She baked me a cake to celebrate me becoming a General."