XIV. Walks Through The Forest

Chapter Fourteen:
Soroya

As we walk through the forest, I allow Shuri and her mother to have some time to themselves. They need to grieve their loss alone, no matter how much I want to comfort them.

Alex is walking a little bit ahead of us, with Ross close behind him. I decide to walk next to Khari, having many questions for the young Jabari warrior.

"So you are who my brother has been running off with?" I say to him.

Khari smiles lightly, using his wooden spear to push leaves and twigs away from both of us. "I find him very fascinating. I have never met another person more hellbent on believing the world is corrupt and selfish."

"I'm guessing he didn't tell you about what happened to him?"

"You may have gathered your brother is not keen on opening up about things. But he did tell me a Russian agency gave him serum that allows him, and you as well, to turn into animals. That one was definitely a shock. I actually learned that by seeing him shift."

I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear and smile at the man, liking him already. "Well I was taken first, and then he was experimented on and tortured. HYDRA kept him as a prisoner and used his lack of control of his abilities to their advantage. He sort of became an unwilling executioner. He's seen the ugliest parts of people, so that's all he sees."

"You have been through the same thing though, and you don't seem to have the same view."

"I've always believed that there's good in everyone just like there is bad. If you give people a chance they can surprise you with how good they can be. I may have seen people do horrible things, but I have seen how those horrible situations brought people together. The good outweighs the bad."

Khari nods. "I feel the same way. You know, Alex keeps telling me I sound like you when I talk. Now I can see why."

"My brother may not be very open, but I can tell he likes you. He's never stuck around anyone like this before, or depended on them like this. Besides me."

Khari turns his face away slightly, trying to hide the grin that spread over his face. He turns back to me, and I can't help but grin back. "You are indeed everything he said about you."

"I hope he said good things."

"The best. Of all the times he's said how corrupt humanity is, he always states that you are the exception to that rule."

I glance over to my brother, smiling to myself. I turn back to Khari, my voice firmer as I ask: "I'm guessing your other tribe members aren't as open to outsiders as you are?"

He shakes his head. "No, but don't worry. I will make sure you all are protected. You have my word."

"Do you think there's any chance M'Baku will help us?"

Khari contemplates this for a moment. "Despite what most believe, M'Baku is a good man. I believe that he will help us."

"I don't doubt it. I just hope what we say will be enough to convince him."

"I hope it will. I have long hated the separation of our country, and so do many of my people. M'Baku doesn't share this hate, but I do know he does not want a maniac on the throne of Wakanda."