XXXIX. Hope

Chapter Thirty-Nine
Soroya

Steve leads me into the living room area of the Avengers compound, pointing to a jittery man pacing in front of Natasha.

"This is Scott Lang, otherwise known as Ant Man. Scott this is Soroya Roberts."

I walk up to him and shake his hand. "You fought in Germany right? With Steve?"

He nods, looking rather proud. "Yeah, yeah I did. I mean he was the one that called me, and I just happened to be available..." he trails off, coming back into reality after a moment. "You uh superhero too? You got powers?"

I nod. "I'm a shapeshifter."

Scott raises his eyebrows, letting out a chuckle. "That's awesome! So, like you can turn into a lion? Or like an elephant?"

He has the excitement of a child. I can't help but smile slightly as I nod my head. I've never having met someone who has geeked out about my powers before.

"Scott," Steve says. "Tell her what you told us."

Scott shakes his head and nods all at once. "Right, yeah, okay. So five years ago before...you know Thanos happened... I was in a place called the Quantum Realm."

"What's that?"

"Like a microscopic universe that you have to be extremely tiny to access. I was supposed to be pulled out, but after Thanos, I was left in there for five years."

I can't even imagine how that must have felt, how lonely and frightening that would be for someone. "I'm so sorry, that must have been terrible."

"But it wasn't, because to me it felt like hours not years. The Quantum Realm has different rules than here."

I shake my head, looking between Scott and the other two. "So, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying time works differently in the Quantum Realm. I'm saying if we find out how we can navigate it, we could perhaps enter the Quantum Realm at a certain point in time and exit at another. Like before Thanos."

I feel my heart rate increasing and I feel slightly shaky. My therapist warned me if I start to feel that way, I'm about to have an anxiety attack and I should calm down. I inch closer to Scott, my voice as steady as it can be as I ask: "Are you proposing time travel?"

Scott nods. "Maybe...maybe we could get everyone back."

I feel a wave of emotions flow through me, but I can't decipher any of them right now. I feel the tears in my eyes, but my mind is focused on the nausea that rolls through me, so much so I need to sit down. Nat pushes over a glass of water and I nod to her in thanks, focusing on counting my breathing and taking small sips.

Steve bends down next to me, resting a hand on my arm. "You okay?"

I nod, letting the tears roll down my face. "I want to believe this can happen....I just don't want to get my hopes too high."

He squeezes my arm. "We are going to go see Tony in the morning. You want to come?"

I nod, wiping my eyes. "Yeah, yeah of course. I need to tell Khari and Okoye about this pretty soon, but I don't know if I should get their hopes up just yet or not."

Steve lets out a sigh. I know he doesn't want to hope either. "Well, we'll know tomorrow."

-

"Does it hurt when you shift?" Scott asks me.

We arevsitting in the car on our way to Tony Stark's house. Steve is driving, Nat is in the front passenger seat, while Scott and I are in the back. The entire ride Scott has been asking me questions about my powers.