XXII. New Positions

Chapter Twenty-Two
Alex

Soroya talks silently with Okoye on our way back to Wakanda. I can tell she's asking how Okoye has been holding up since the arresting of her husband. It's clear how torn she is; between wanting justice for what he did during Killmonger's reign of terror and the love she has for her him.

I figured any words of sympathy from me wouldn't bode well, so I stole Soroya's iPod and listened to some music. Fall Out Boy is amazing and as I scrolled through the library Shuri gave her, I found that I really enjoy My Chemical Romance as well. If there's one thing that the 21st century is doing right, it's rock music.

After talking with Okoye, Soroya comes back over to me and listens to the music as well, but I can tell she hates it.

When we reach Wakanda, in front of the palace waiting for us are T'Challa, Shuri, Khari, and the other Dora Milaje. Soroya carries a box off the jet and one of the Dora's takes it from her, gesturing for the others to help the general get the rest and take them to our rooms.

Soroya and I walk up to the king and princess, who look pleased to see my sister again, but only give me a nod of acknowledgment. They ask her how the visit with our aunt went. I let her explain it to them, while I move over to talk to Khari.

He smiles at me widely. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't missed that smile over the last few hours. "How was it?"

Before we left, I finally told Khari what happened to our parents and what we were about to go do. I felt it was time to try to let him know me better, however hard that task might be. "We got everything from our aunt and we even found out they had a funeral for us."

"Must have been quite the ceremony."

I scoff. "Yeah I know. But they have graves for all of us, including our parents, so it was nice to finally...finally get to say goodbye."

Khari places a hand on my shoulder. "I am sorry, Alex."

I nod to him. "I'll be fine...what's been going on here?"

Khari's smile returns and Shuri starts to join the conversation. She forces a smile my direction. "I have been making some designs for the new transportation route between Jabariland and the city. General Chikere says you plan on helping?"

I nod to her, forcing a smile as well. "What plans do you have in mind." I ask. Shuri looks to her brother, who gives her a nod, and with that she starts to lead us towards her lab.

"The General told me of the secret entrance in the mountain, one you have seen, and I plan to make that the entrance to the station. The station here will be in the field near the lake, right outside the city."

I crease my eyebrows. "Station?"

"I plan on the transportation being by train."

And all of the sudden, I am an eight year old boy; running around my house with the tools I stole from Papa, making and tearing apart my own toy trains. "I am definitely the man to help you."

Shuri raises her eyebrows. "Oh really? Why is that?"

"Because for fourteen years of my life I wanted to be a train engineer."

Shuri lets out a laugh. "Wow. What a coincidence." She says, a bit of sarcasm in her voice.

I turn to Khari. "Are you going to be helping make trains?"

Khari shakes his head. "M'Baku put me in charge of the whole operation, so I'll be overseeing the trains as well as the merging responsibilities of our armies. I'll be going back and forth."