XXXII. The Snap

Chapter Thirty-Two
Soroya

I watch as a look of utter horror goes over Thor's face. Thanos uses the stones again to create another portal, vanishing into thin air and leaving Thor's axe behind him.

Steve sees me struggling to get up, grabbing hold of my arm and back, pulling me onto my feet. We both go over to Thor, both of us panting and hopelessly confused.

Thor stares down at his axe, his mouth agape and his eyes filled with shock and failure.

"Where'd he go?" I ask him, but he doesn't reply.

Steve takes a step closer to him, his eyes growing more and more panicked. "Thor? Where'd he go?"

"Steve? Lena?" I hear Bucky asks, his voice sounding different.

Steve and I both turn towards him. I feel all the air get sucked from my lungs. Bucky's eyes go wide with fear and confusion as his arm turns into dust, as do his legs, his other arm, and his torso.

Steve and I both stumble towards him. I feel tears fill my eyes and a sob wrack my chest as Bucky and I make eye contact, before his gun hits the ground and Bucky turns to dust before my eyes.

Steve and I both fall to our knees where Bucky laid only seconds ago. We both reach for that small piece of land, touching all that remains of Bucky Barnes.

I feel a sob escape my mouth and I don't hold back. I let out a scream of agony that is shared, but not expressed, by the look in Steve's eyes.

I glance over at the field and see one by one the warriors of Wakanda dusting away, leaving the ones who remain wondering around in pain and confusion.

I hear a sob come from Khari. I turn towards him, watching in horror as Alex's arm begins to dust away. I practically throw myself towards my brother. Khari reaches out towards him, their hands touching for a moment, before Alex dusts away like Bucky did. Khari lets out a wail of agony, but it's not even close to mine; the scream I let out mixes with what sounds like a roar, some of the animal in me seeping through. I feel my heart shatter into a thousand pieces, knowing nothing can ever put it back together again.

Okoye comes over to us and I see tears spilling down her cheeks. I know T'Challa is gone too. She looks at my face and then around at the others, pieceing together who else has parished. She falls to her knees at my side, wrapping her arms around my neck, sobbing into my shoulder as I sob into hers.

"What is this? What the hell is happening?" Rhodes asks.

I lift my head up enough to see Khari, who is just sobbing as he leans over where my brother once stood. I reach out towards him. He comes over to us, wrapping an arm around me and Okoye, his sobs mixing with ours.

"Oh god." Steve says, and I can see the tears in his eyes too. We all just sit there for the longest time. All of us feeling defeated, all of us feeling like we failed the universe. All of us now mere broken shards, lying on the ground next to the dusted remains of the ones we lost.