VII. Prove Me Wrong

Chapter Seven:
Alex

Soroya went back to the palace with Shuri, mumbling to me that the princess was forcing her to watch a movie called 'Avatar'. I told her to have fun with that as the princess pulled my sister away to take her to her torture.

I felt tempted to go back into the palace and stay in my room, but deep inside I knew where I wanted to go. Where I said I would go. With a slight shake of my head, I walk towards the tree line, towards the mountain area of Wakanda.

After maybe fifteen minutes of walking, I find Khari sitting on the log we were at yesterday. His white paint is still on from earlier, but some of it has faded due to the water. He is still wearing the grass skirt, but his chest is covered with the same leather breastplate I've seen him wear before.

As I approach, he looks up to me, then to the outfit I'm wearing. He smiles sadly. "You were there today?"

I nod, sitting down next to him, waiting for him to speak again. I can see how sad today has made him. It makes me wonder why I feel pity for this man I barely know.

"M'Baku is a good man. I know he didn't seem like it today, but he's a respectful and generous leader. He only said those things because he thinks our way of life is better for everyone. He has good intentions."

"His behavior was barbaric. The way he taunted T'Challa about his father was inexcusable, how can you defend him?"

"He's my leader and my friend. You have only just met him today, you can't be too quick to judge."

"That goes for you too then," I say, but this comment makes Khari confused. "You've seemed nice so far but I've only just met you. Perhaps I've been to quick to judge you. Perhaps you're no better than M'Baku."

I can see the hurt go across Khari's face. I have to look away, not knowing what I'd say if I look into those hazel eyes any longer.

"Why do you act like that?"

I force myself to turn back to him, but I avoid his gaze. "Like what?"

"Like everyone you meet has some vendetta against you."

"Because from my experience, everyone does."

"Just because you have had a run in with several cruel people in your life doesn't mean you have to treat others prematurely with aggression." Khari says defensively. I am reminded of when Soroya acted the same way when I accused her of being in league with HYDRA. Those two really are alike.

"Assuming everyone is out to get me is what's kept me alive this long. And even before that, it's what's kept me from getting hurt."

"Getting hurt is apart of life. If you keep pushing people away then you'll be all alone in life."

I shrug. "I've never minded being alone."

Khari's face softens and the anger fades. "Yes, you do. You just find it easier than opening up to someone."

I let out a noise of exasperation. "And Sigmund Freud is back at it again! I'm sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy you interpreting their every word, but I'm not one of those people."