XL. Big Brains

Chapter Forty
Soroya

Some members of the Avengers haven't been around the last few years. Rocket, Nebula, and Carol were going from planet to planet, trying to help out other people suffering. Tony obviously found a quiet life, Thor is in New Asgard in Switzerland, and apparently Bruce has kept himself rather busy. He's been living in New York, where he has done an experiment to morph the Hulk and himself into one being. It was rather jarring to see at first.

Scott whispered into my ear: "I'm not the only one freaked out right?"

I looked over my shoulder to him and shook my head. We ended up meeting at a diner, with Bruce sitting at the side of the booth with a chair. Natasha and Steve are sitting across from Scott and I in the booth.

A nervous looking waitress took our orders. Bruce ordered an assortment of foods, all of which came to him in huge portions; the eggs, for instance, are given to him in a large mixing bowl. Steve and Natasha weren't hungry, but Scott and I definitely were. I ordered some bacon and Scott ordered some toast. Scott watched me in awe as he saw the way I eat meat. I don't like to do in front of people because the serum makes me odd around meat and blood. Scott found it fascinating though.

"Come on, I feel like I'm the only one eating here," Bruce says. "Try some of that." He pushes the bowl of eggs towards Scott, who shakes his head no and bites into a piece of toast, sneakily stealing a piece of my bacon.

Scott stares at Bruce for a moment, saying what is on all of our minds. "I'm so confused."

Bruce nods, looking more relaxed than I've ever seen him. "These are confusing times."

Scott shakes his head. "Right, no, no that's not what I meant—"

"Nah, I get it. I'm kidding! I know it's crazy," He says gesturing to himself. "I'm wearing shirts now."

"Yeah...What? How? Why?"

"Five years ago we got our asses best. Except it was worse for me 'cause I lost twice; first Hulk lost then Banner lost. Then we all lost."

"No one blamed you, Bruce." Natasha tells him.

"I did. But for years I've been treating Hulk like some kind of disease, something to get rid of. But then, I start looking at him as the cure. Eighteen months in the gamma lab, and I put the brains and the brawn together...now look at me. Best of both worlds."

Scott still looks confused, but I smile at Bruce genuinely. "I'm glad you were able to sort it all out. It's a good look for you."

Scott looks at me like I'm crazy, but Bruce flashes a grin at me. "And you know it isn't as hard to find clothes as you would think."

I nod. "Duly noted."

Three kids from another part of the diner approach Bruce, nervously asking if they can take a picture with him. In the first few months of working with the Avengers, I saw Steve and Natasha get asked things like this all the time. After maybe four months, I got asked by a little girl to get a picture with me and it was an odd feeling; having someone look up to you as a role model, as a hero. Rhodey once showed me that an autograph I signed was sold on eBay for five hundred euros. I burst into laughter, finding that both ridiculous and surreal. I get asked for pictures and autographs all the time now, like I'm Angelina Jolie not a shapeshifter.

It wasn't just that though; there are people who want to hold my hand in gratitude, to thank me for what I had done for them and their loved ones. In the past five years, 'The Savage' is no longer a name that adorns wanted posters and fills people with fear. 'The Savage' is now a symbol of hope, and I wish HYDRA could see me now.