XLVI. What Happened?

Chapter Fourty-Six
Alex

I open my eyes and let out a pained breath. I move my arms around and feel the ground beneath me, hesitantly pushing myself up. I look down at my hands, then at the rest of my body. I touch my hands, my face and my chest trying to reassure myself I'm here. I let out a couple of shaky breaths, trying remember what the hell just happened to me.

"Alex?" I hear from a few feet away. I turn my body around and find Bucky sitting on the ground, touching his metal arm absentmindedly.

Things start to rush back to me; Thanos disappearing into a portal, Bucky turning into dust in front of me, Khari and Soroya screaming for me as my arm disappears, then my legs, then the rest of me...

"Oh my god," I mutter to myself, rushing over to Bucky's side, crushing him in an embrace. "You...you..."

Bucky embraces me back. I feel his breath catch and his body tense up as he reflects on what happened as well. When we pull back from each other, I know the same person is on our mind.

"Where is she?" Bucky asks.

Another person crosses my mind. "I don't know...where's-where's Khari? I need to find him." I say, feeling frantic as I realize I have no idea where either of them are.

"Are you both alright?" I hear T'Challa's voice ask. I look over to where he numbingly walks over to us, looking just as confused and slightly scared.

I nod to him. "Yeah, but I want to know what the hell happened to us."

"I think I can answer that." A woman's voice says from behind us. We all look around to see a tall red haired woman wearing a ridiculous looking cloak. Under her cloak she is wearing dark leggings, a dark purple long sleeve shirt with a dark red vest. Around her hands there seems to be orange glowing disks. I roll my eyes, asking myself how many superheroes there can actually be?

I glance at Bucky, who looks as confused as I am, and then glance back at the red head. "Who the hell are you?"

"I'm a sorcerer of the mystic arts," she says calmly. "Stephen Strange has sent all of us to collect you and others to join in the fight against Thanos."

"Alright, wait a second McGonagall," I say with a wave of my hand. "Thanos is still on earth? Or is he here again? Can you tell us what's going on and what happened to us?"

The woman crosses her arms, her glowing disks disappearing. She opens her mouth to speak, but she hesitates. I don't like the sorrow and pity that covers her face. "Thanos erased half of all life, as he planned, which included all of you...you have been dead for five years. The Avengers were able to bring you back though, but Thanos has returned because of it. We need all the help we can get to stop him."

Five years. I have no idea whether Soroya or Khari survived Thanos or not, but if they did that means they've spent the last five years without me...thinking I'm dead. Do they even know I'm alive? I look over to Bucky, who looks stunned and is no doubt having the same thought process I am.

I stand up, walking the few steps over to T'Challa. "We need to stop Thanos. I don't know about you, but I don't want to die again."

T'Challa numbingly nods, patting my shoulder gently. "We need to gather our army...I need to find my mother...and Shuri and Okoye. Did you inform them?" He asks, turning to the red head.