MISHAP AT THE BEACH

Getting rid of a ghost ended up turning into a day at the beach.

The day after capture the flag, Nico had told his friends that morning at breakfast that he needed to take care of some business at a nearby beach. A ghost was causing trouble and he needed to send him back to the Underworld for his father. He had just told them so they wouldn't worry about him while he was gone, simple as that.

Of course everyone else thought of it as an excuse for a fun day at the beach; Chiron had merely advised them to be on the alert before letting the ten demigods leave camp. Nico had reluctantly shadow traveled them all there, each person carrying what they needed to have fun at the deserted beach. Everyone was wearing their swimsuits. Even Nico, who hadn't even owned one until Will let him borrow a pair of his. The swim trunks were bright blue, which the son of Hades disliked, but they were better than the orange ones Will had on.

"Let's build a sand castle!" Will said merrily as everyone spread out to either swim, relax in the sun, or play with the volley ball Leo had brought.

Nico rolled his eyes at him, raising his sword before swearing he must have looked ridiculous with it while only in swim trunks. "I came here to dispatch a ghost, Sunshine. You start it and I'll join you when I'm done doing what I came here for."

"Okay, but where is this ghost? It looks like no one is here."

The son of Hades searched the beach for any sign of spectral activity. Faintly, a little ways down the beach, he picked something up. Nico took off towards the spot before the trail could completely dissolve.

Suddenly, a glowing white spirit rose from the sand. He looked like some common thug. The clothes he wore were covered in chains and all black, his jacket leather and his eyes cold as he stared at the boy before him. However, when his eyes fell on the sword in Nico's hands he gasped. There was fear in his gaze now.

"I heard from Lord Hades you've been a bad ghost," Nico said in a business-like tone. Several yards away his friends crept closer, wanting to make sure their friend was okay but not wanting to interfere right away.

Usually ghosts feared him because he was the Ghost King. This one was an exception, however, because the fear in his eyes turned to hate within seconds. As he lunged at Nico, the son of Hades rolled out of the way. He cursed when sand stuck to him loosely. Ignoring it, he stood up just as the ghost roared at him. Nico swung his sword, absorbing the soul easily, just as a ball of mist landed at his feet. His eyes widened a moment too late as he realized it was one of Lou Ellen's creations.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF APOLLO DID YOU JUST DO TO MY BOYFRIEND?"

Lou Ellen winced as she turned to the now giggling son of Hades in front of her. After a few minutes he was staring up at her with big, innocent brown eyes. All traces of maturity and what made him Nico were gone. "I just wanted to help! I meant to throw an anti-anger ball at them, but I guess I messed up."

"Messed up?" Will repeated as he took Nico's hand. He lifted him up to see Nico staring at him goofily. "Why is he looking at me like that?"

As everyone walked over to the three conversing, Lou Ellen ran a hand through her hair. "The magic I threw at them was supposed to make the angriest thing in proximity become happy-go-lucky. Since Nico got rid of the ghost the only one around was him. It'll wear off within the hour."

Will breathed a sigh of relief. Nico, however, was creeping him out. Even relaxed Nico had never appeared to be as... careless as he was acting now.

"You are so hot," Nico stated bluntly before turning towards the others. His eyes fell on Percy next as everyone shifted around uncomfortably. Something was definitely wrong with the son of Hades if he was admitting to Will being hot openly and in front of people. "You're a moron, but you smell like the sea so it's okay."

"What?" Percy said dumbfounded. Beside him Leo burst out laughing.

"It seems being happy means he can say what's on his mind."

Percy glared at him before turning to Nico. "What do you have to say about Leo here?"

The dark-haired teenager thought a moment before answering. "He's cool." He stated simply before turning back to his boyfriend. "I want to make out now," he said before grabbing Will's arm and dragging him down the beach.

"W-what?" Nico was never this straight forward. Will turned back, glancing at his friends for him, but they were only laughing or giving him a thumbs-up. "Guys?" He called. "You're just going to let him take me away? He's not himself and I don't feel right letting him—"

Suddenly a wall erupted between the couple and their friends, effectively blocking them from view. It was then Nico threw himself at the son of Apollo. He knocked him to the ground, kissing him heatedly while Will turned red but otherwise kissed him back. He was not used to Nico being so... confident. It was different. However, it was not bad different so he wrapped his tan arms around the younger boy, pulling him close.

That had been the best make out session Will Solace had ever had in his life. When the magic wore off ten minutes into it, Nico had quietly admitted it had been nice too before continuing it. They spent the rest of the day playing in the surf, building an awesome sand castle, and joining in a game of Marco Polo with their friends. No one referred to Nico's strangely confident behavior while being effected by magic.

Well, except for Percy.

"First you tell me I'm not your type and now you think I'm just a great-smelling moron. You know what, di Angelo? You are a closet jerk."

"I really could care less, Percy."

"See? There you go again! Your jerkiness is showing."

Nico sighed. "That's not even a word. This is why you're a moron and not my type."

"Well you know what? You're not my type either!"

"Shots fired," Nico said sarcastically before they shadow traveled back to camp. It seemed telling people they weren't your type is a mistake. Doing so can psychologically and mentally damage the victim.