DEATH BOY'S BIRTHDAY

"Surprise! Happy Birthday!"

Standing there in a slightly tattered pirate costume, dark brown eyes peeking out from his long hair (he really needed a haircut), was a gaping Nico di Angelo.

His cabin had been decorated with black, purple, and green streamers as well as similarly colored balloons. There was a table with presents on it on the far side of the room, but what pleased Nico the most was the fact Hazel, Reyna, and Frank were standing there smiling at him. In Hazel's hands she held a dark chocolate cake with the words "Happy Birthday Nico!" written in fancy script with a single number 15 candle in the middle.

A moment later, when he still hadn't said anything, Reyna rolled her eyes and threw a bag she had been hiding behind her back at the son of Hades.

"Close your mouth before you catch flies, di Angelo. Before we get this party started, change into that while everyone else takes off their ridiculous costumes."

Percy neighed, which caused Annabeth to elbow him. Five minutes later, when everyone was gathered into Cabin 13, Will, Hazel, and Reyna herded Nico to the center of the room where a metal table was set. Beside it were plates, forks, cups, bottles of soda, and bags of chips. There was also a knife of which to cut the cake.

"Guys," the birthday boy said as his eyes darted to those around him. He hated being the center of attention. "How about we just eat the cake? Singing is overrated anyway, and—"

A tan hand over his mouth cut him off.

"No way, Death Boy. You shall suffer through four lines of the classic birthday song like a man!"

Nico licked Will's hand, causing him to squeal like a girl.

"Now who is acting like a man?"

"You licked me! Don't you know how many germs could be on my hands?"

He rolled his eyes, about to reply when Hazel cleared her throat. Just then everyone began singing.

"Happy birthday to you," they chorused. "Happy birthday to you," Nico's face was reddening from the unwanted attention. "Happy birthday dear Nico," his insides melted when Will snuck a quick peck on his lips. "Happy birthday to you!"

"See?" Will asked with a smile as he motioned to the cake. "That wasn't so bad. Now blow out the candles and make a wish."

Nico frowned. "I don't have a clue of what to wish for. I'm actually pretty happy right now, surprisingly. Never thought I'd say that."

"Just think. You must want something."

Maybe he was a bit selfish, but the only possible thing that could make Nico di Angelo happier than he was currently was for Bianca to be there too. It couldn't hurt to wish after all. He blew out the candles.

"Now," Leo said dramatically, "let us eat cake!"

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"Present time!"

After stuffing their faces even more, the thirteen demigods were sitting in a circle in the middle of the room. Twelve of them were armed with presents hidden behind wrapping paper or plastic. They were all looking at Nico with smiles on their faces, and Nico felt his heart race with the happiness he was feeling at that moment.

"Neeks?" Leo said from two people to his left. "You look like you're about to cry."

The son of Hades quickly blinked, getting rid of the twinkling effect his happiness was causing his eyes to take on. "No I'm not! Anyway, um, who wants to go first, I guess? You guys really didn't need to go to the trouble of getting me stuff. All of you being here means more than anything, really."