SHOOTING STARS AND EMBERS

The mood of the night was somber. It was the night of last campfire of the summer, and while many of the older campers would stay at camp throughout the year, several demigods would be leaving within the next few days to try for a normal year of schooling. Despite many of them probably only lasting a few months before a monster attack forced them to come back, there was nothing they could do but try. Some were also leaving to go to school in New Rome.

One of the people leaving was Will Solace. It was hard for Nico to think his own personal sun would be leaving in just two days. The thought of him not being there to greet him every morning, talk his ear off about various things, smile that bright smile of his, and just be there next to him what heart wrenching. He knew Will wasn't leaving forever, yet...

"Nico?"

The dark-haired demigod glanced up from his bed to see Piper enter the cabin followed by Annabeth, Calypso, and Lou Ellen. The four girls had been spending some of their time together lately, most likely gossiping about their boyfriends.

"Yeah?" Nico didn't move from where he lied propped up against the back of his bed. It was almost time for the campfire, and while he was supposed to meet Will there in ten minutes he couldn't bring himself to leave his bed.

The girls settled themselves on the edges of his bed, two sitting on either side of him and gazing at him curiously.

"Aren't you going to the campfire?" Lou Ellen asked. "Will said something about you two sitting together and him singing you a song. Aren't you excited?"

Nico didn't meet her eyes. Instead he grabbed part of his blanket, studying the cloth to find what the pattern of pictures was. "I am."

Annabeth frowned. "Then why do you seem so sad?"

"Will's leaving in two days."

"Oh," she breathed. "I'm sure it won't be too long until you see him. He'll visit on breaks I'm sure, and you could always shadow travel to see him on weekends."

Nico groaned. "I know that, which is why I'm frustrated with myself for being so depressed about him leaving. It's not like he isn't coming back..."

Piper put a hand on his shoulder, causing him to look up at her. The sad look in his eyes was enough to make her tear up. "Are you afraid something is going to happen to him while he's away? Is that it?"

"I..." He couldn't speak. His throat closed up as he thought of every possible monster that could attack his boyfriend while he was outside the safety of camp. "He isn't a fighter, Piper. I'm worried because if a monster attacks him the worst he can do is whistle. I helped him become a better archer, but what if it's not good enough? If something were to happen to him..." Like what happened to Bianca.

Calypso smiled at the son of Hades. While she wasn't very close to the boy, only beginning to get to know him during the last couple weeks, the ex-goddess understood him.

"I think you should talk to Will. Let him know you're worried, and he'll reassure you that he'll be fine."

"Yeah," Lou Ellen added. "This isn't his first year leaving camp to go home. From what he's told me over the time I've known him, he usually doesn't have much monster trouble. Hearing this from him will help you be at ease."

Nico nodded, gratitude on his face. "Thank you."

"No problem," the girls said with matching smiles. Together the five of them left the cabin, walking to the amphitheater together where their boyfriends were waiting.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

It seemed Will must have known had badly his departure was affecting Nico. The blond cracked jokes, made s'mores, and shared his affection with the son of Hades even more than normal that night. When singing became open to volunteers, Will was the first one to take advantage of it. After joining the rest of his cabin, whom were armed with instruments, Will waited for them to begin a melody before starting the song.