LOVERS GO LOOPY

"When you said we were going to an amusement park," Nico started as he stared at the metal monstrosities from afar, "I did not picture this."

Percy and Leo, both having a lot of experiences at theme parks, looked at him with twin looks of pity. They only stopped their exaggerated looks when they noticed Calypso and Hazel looking at the park skeptically as well. The three of them were still behind when it came to the modern world.

"They had amusement parks in the late 1930s, didn't they?" Thalia questioned from where she stood next to Reyna and Tucker. The Hunter got along with the Roman Praetor pretty well despite their rocky encounter (aka kidnapping) over half a year prior.

Nico and Hazel nodded together, but then later went on to explain. "They were usually small and made of wood. Nothing was ever this big," she expressed in awe.

Leo grinned as he pointed to an orange roller coaster that was nearly the tallest one there. "That, Hazel, is two-hundred feet tall. For someone who is used to the earth, are you sure you can handle that?"

"Of course I can!"

"It goes upside down a couple times," he warned impishly.

She stuck out her tongue at him. "I don't care."

"Good, because that's the first ride we're going on."

Doing her best to hide the feeling of unease in her stomach, Hazel began walking in the direction of said coaster while eleven demigods, an ex-goddess, a clear-sighted mortal, and a Hunter followed.

To be honest, however, Calypso and Nico were glancing at each other apprehensively. Despite facing Gaea, horrible monsters, and fate, those from the past seemed a little scared of going on a simple modern amusement park ride. Perhaps it was silly, but it was true.

"Will," Nico voiced quietly as they walked.

"Yes?"

"Have you ridden roller coasters before?"

The son of Apollo nodded. "Yeah, but that was a few years ago. It wasn't nearly as tall as the one we're going on either. I'm sure it'll be fine though."

Nico didn't seem reassured. "Oh, okay."

"Awe, is someone scared?"

"Zeus killed my mother, Will. Sorry if I'm a little uneasy at the notion of being two-hundred feet in the air in his domain. I know Jason and Thalia are here, but..." The son of Hades suddenly glanced at the daughter of Zeus. "I wonder if she'll even go on. She's terrified of heights."

Will seemed perplexed. "That's ironic, since her father is god of the skies and all."

"Irony runs in the family. There was a time when Percy was scared of drowning, and more recently I was scared of the dark due to almost fading and all. The Fates seem to have a sense of humor when it comes to children of the gods."

"You're not scared of the dark any more, right?" Will asked as they reached the back of the line for the roller coaster they were going to ride.

Nico rolled his eyes. "With my own personal sun as my boyfriend? I think not."

Half an hour later, the group managed to make it to the area with the many turnstiles that marked what seat of the coaster they would ride on. Since few knew about Thalia's fear of heights, Percy offered to be the odd one out so she could ride with Annabeth. He tried not to look too disappointed about this fact when the Hunter looked at him with such thankful eyes. Annabeth and Thalia, along with the rest of their friends, were distributed mainly across the middle of the coaster. Cecil and Lou Ellen were in the very front though, while Will had persuaded Nico to sit in the very last car.