30

When I and Kang Zixian walked out of McDonald's, it was already three o'clock in the middle of the night. It was still raining and the cold night wind was blowing into my face. It felt cool and made me clear headed.

In the light rain and windy night, it was totally different from the day. The night was quiet and tranquil. Kang Zixian proposed to take a walk and I nodded in agreement.

It felt a bit strange.

I wore his sports jacket as I felt cold and was also wearing a cap on my head. My hands were inserted into the big pockets of the jacket and he walked slowly beside me, holding up an umbrella to shield me from the rain.

Shining stars, cool nights and the umbrella overhead, gave me the feeling of warmth.

We walked quietly on the open pedestrian street and started to converse.

"Why did you choose to be a police officer?"

"Why? ......well, that's a long story."

"Tell me."

"Ai.....it's actually quite complicated......when I was in high school, my mother was studying abroad. Old Alan was my mother's tutor and I guessed he took a fancy to my mother. The whole day, he treated my mother enigmatically, except for sleeping, every day she was forced to work in the laboratory, doing this or that. My mother is a hot-tempered woman and wanted face. She is especially afraid of losing face and putting Chinese people to shame, so she endured the hardship when her tutor, Old Alan, gave her pressure. But she still had to find a way to vent her feelings......can you guess who was this helpless guy?"

"You?"

"Correct, it was me. That time I was in a third-rate high school and in a third-rate class. It's painful to look at the past......my results were bad catching my teacher's attention......my results were extremely bad. That.....*he, he*......you know Fei Ge and I since childhood, we both had a sense of righteousness, so.....uh, that is to say, we often skipped class to roam on the streets to maintain fairness and justice......"

"It was clearly fighting only and the so-called fairness and justice was only a cover."

I felt a little embarrassed and could only pretend to be surprised, glanced at him, shyly laughed and said. ".......don't you see? You, a foreign book nerd should know."

Kang Zixian turned around and smiled at me. "What is so strange? I had also stood for fairness and justice before."

It was still raining and because there was a very quiet audience by my side, my thoughts lingered in the times of my youth.

Those few years of confusion, loss of direction and helplessness after the rebellion, I was even ashamed to share with Fu Chen, but many years later, I could narrate to another man.

"My performance was extremely bad. Both Fei Ge and I were in the same boat and we were well-known as 'Black Sheep Duo'. The teacher was so angry that she made a call across the ocean to my mother and complained about me for an hour. It was also a good thing. Old Alan had made my mother so angry that she was like a gunpowder keg and when the teacher fanned the fire, my mother's temper flared up. In front of Old Alan, she slapped the table and said she quit. She told him that she would not be studying anymore and returning home to beat up her daughter. The result was.....she did what she said, packed her bags and returned home. Can you guess what she did? As soon as the plane landed, she gave me a slap right in front of my aunt and uncle, without giving me face. I was so mad."

"Later?"

"At that time, I and Fei Ge were in high school, third year and her mother was also preparing to send her off to the sports college. After I was slapped by my mother, I ran off.......how should I put it? That time I had lived with my uncle's family for two years and my relationship with my aunt was not good. She always compared me to my cousin and every day I felt like I was living on her charity. I felt extremely depressed and every day looked forward to my mother's return. Eventually, when my mother returned, she did not give me a hug of love but instead gave me a slap in the face. I could not stand the psychological distress and ran to find Fei Ge. She was so upset with my crying, slapped her thigh and said: We cannot carry on living like this. Liang Liang, let's run away from home and go to Mount Emei to pursue religious practice! ! !"