THE VANISHING OF WILL BYERS

HAWKINS LAB's residents had never been quiet. It was always something happening. Cursing, screaming, demands, pleading, begging for lives that would end in seconds. Obedience, restraint, and the constant sad and miserable thoughts from others like her. Seven heard everything. Her mind was always filled with things she couldn't understand or things that she wished she'd never heard.

   But, that was just it. Usually, she heard everything. Every death, scream, torture device, every fatigue body being thrown onto the ground. But, the one night she hadn't heard a single thing, she was overcome with fear. It felt like the world stilled, her small world had stopped. And she was afraid that whatever had silenced the others, would come for her too.

   Except, the only thing that came for her was the girl like her. 011 had been tattooed into her wrist, similar to Seven's own number except on her left wrist. Very briefly did Eleven let her sit there until she had to urge her to get up and leave. Seven was startled, confused and cold but for the first time in her life, she let herself trust someone. Before she even knew what trust was, or what it meant, it was given to Eleven without a second thought.

   Two girls, subjects Seven and Eleven were running. Hand intertwined, speeding down the dark, looming halls that never held happiness. Seven glanced at the rainbow room, her eyes staring at it as they passed but soon stopped after Eleven tugged her hand harder so they'd go faster.

   The two girls, ran out the doors, their hospital gowns swaying between their legs. Too afraid to look back, ran without even a glance at each other. They both crawled into a tunnel, that led outside the big gate that trapped them inside hell, itself. They reconnected hands after Seven came out of the tunnel and continued to run. Seven felt her feet grow bloody and bruised but kept running, Repeating in her head to herself that she was finally free.

[][][]

   Seven and Eleven ran all night, only one resting while the other kept watch, not wanting to get caught and possibly murdered by the men that kept them imprisoned. They eventually agreed, silently, to start walking. As they got further and further into the forest they started to smell food. Something delicious that made Seven's mouth water.

   Her eyes flickered to a small building. It was way smaller than the lab but bigger than the unique buildings she'd passed by running through the woods. Seven pointed and Eleven turned to the small building. They went to walk toward it but a man came out. They hid behind the tree slightly, not quite in plain sight. They watched the bald man put a slightly big bag into a can. He was a quite chubby man but his face shown something that didn't mean that he was too friendly.

   "Careful," Seven whispered, not being good at it. Eleven glanced at her, surprised she knew that word. They weren't taught new words very often, but Seven must have caught onto the word. "Extra careful." Seven went on, staring at the side of Eleven's face. Eleven just nodded her head and walked forward, Seven trailing behind her.

[][][]

   Seven and Eleven wondered into the small building, Seven cringing at the door creaking. But seeming, nobody noticed that it did, making Seven sigh in relief. Eleven walked ahead of Seven, glancing at men that were talking to each other with a smile. Seven stared mysteriously at them, wondering why they were smiling. They just were exchanging words. Seven shook her head, she needed to focus and not get caught.

   Eleven and Seven walked over to the sink, but stopped once the delicious smell returned. Seven immediately turned her head to the tray of fries. She and Eleven walked towards it, Eleven glancing up at the two man talking. Seven stared at it, mouth watering all over again. Seven was the first to pick up a fry. Eleven stared at her as she did so, Seven munched in it for a second before nodding. Not glancing at eleven as she went to get more fries.