THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

SAM RUBBED EL'S back as Mike sat next to her, thinking about the event that went down not too long ago. Sam figures that whatever they thought about that related to the upside down, she'd try to deny it. But so far they just had blank minds. "What was Will saying?" Mike asked himself, staring into space. "Like home. Like home," he repeated himself. "But dark?" He asked himself again.

"And empty." Lucas added. "Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Dustin asked Lucas as he glanced at him. "I don't know. The stupid radio kept going in and out." Lucas exclaimed, turning back to mike who now stood. "It's like riddles in the dark." Dustin groaned, throwing his head back.

"Like home. Like his house?" Mike questions lucas who stared up at him. "Or maybe like Hawkins?" Lucas suggested. Sam closed her eyes quickly, slipping into the boys mind like ice. 'No.' She said into his mind, the voice in his head echoing, causing him to shake his head, denying his previous thoughts like a robot.

"Upside down." El spoke softly, her voice barely above a whisper. Sam snapped her head to el, eyes narrowing at the girl, pleading silently. Sam forced herself into the girls mind, 'no, el.' Sam spoke to her, but not controlling. Like a conversation. 'Out.' El narrowed her eyes at Sam, causing Sams eyes to harden and to snatch her hand off of el's back, el frowning deeply when she realized she had upset the girl.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asked, looking between mike and Dustin. "Upside down." Mike repeated, glancing at el. "What?" Lucas asked. "Upside down." He repeated. Mike walked to the game table and flipped the board from the black side to the game side. Lucas and Dustin standing and walking over to him. Sam sent a look to el that made el look at the boys sadly, she just wanted to help. Sam knew that, but they could get hurt.

"When el showed us where Will was she flipped the board over, remember?" Mike asked, flipping the board back to the black side. "Upside down. Dark. Empty." Mike repeated their talked thoughts, looking between them both. "Do you know what he's talking about?" Lucas sent Dustin a tired look as he asked. "No." Dustin bluntly replied.

"Guys, come on. Think about it. When el took us to find Will, she took us to his house right?" Mike asked, looking at Lucas. "Yeah, and he wasn't there." Lucas concluded. "But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side?" Mike started to question. "What if this is Hawkins and..." Mike flipped over the board to the black side. "The upside down." He finished.

"Like the vale of shadows." Dustin smiled, Mike glancing at him and Lucas. As Dustin pulled out a book and started to read from it sam felt the familiar feeling of a flashback overtaking her memory.

[][][]

Seven stared in fear of the thing in front of her. It had a flower face and a body of a human, when it roared in her face the razor sharp teeth was revealed to the girl. She glanced at the eight-year-old, next to her. A feared expression decorated all over the pale girls face. Seven gripped her hand with the numbers 004 on it.

Four stepped closer, making the thing roar at the two girl. Seven cowered back, disconnecting her hand with fours, as the thing took more steps toward the two. "Now." Four said, fear overtaking her voice, causing the thing to roar again as if it could smell her fear. Four silently cowered back, expecting the thing to be tamed by sevens mind manipulation but when she turned, seven was up against the wall in fear.

When four turned back the monster was taking wide steps towards them, fear ran down fours spine as she threw out her hand. Seven felt a wave of something rush over her as she braced herself against the wall. Before arms pulled her away, she saw four's shield around her, protecting herself before guns shot the monster down with four falling down soon after, drained.