THE POLLYWOG

SAM AND EL watched as hopper approached the box that el had left open. He put the flashlight he held down as he put something in the box and closed it. He squatted for a while before standing up and starting to walk away.

As he walked back to his truck, Sam and el glanced at each other. The two girls left from behind the tree, following him quickly. He stopped once the girls turned around the tree, he turned, removing his hat as he stared at them.

[][][]

"Rise and shine." Hopper said, standing at the doors entrance. Sam opened her eyes, staring up at the ceiling. She turned on her side, back facing towards el's bed. "So that's it, huh? You two still not talking?" Hopper asked tiredly, Sam didn't move.

"Alright. I guess I'm just gonna have to, enjoy this triple-decker waffle and pancake extravaganza on my own." Hopper bragged as he walked away. Sams eyes turned away from the wall to over her shoulder, she sat up quickly, looking at el before getting up.

[][][]

Hopper grunted as he cut through the pancake and waffle stacked tower, as Sam and el sat there quietly. Sam took her fork and stabbed it into a pancake before taking a bite. "Mmm!" Hopper exclaimed in joy, "Good, right?" He asked, wiping off the wipe cream. "Know the great thing about it? It's only 8,000 calories." Hopper explained as he stared at the two girls.

Sam and el gave him a blank look, making him cast his gaze downward. He cut another piece before looking at the cord that hadn't left the room. "You two visited them again last night?" Hopper asked, his enthusiasm gone. Sam stared downward as she stopped eating. "He says he needs me." El said. "He missed me terribly." Sam whispered.

"Want me to go check on them?" Hopper asked but Sam shook her head, Hopper going to check on them would just weird them out. "I know you two miss them, Alright. But it's too dangerous." Hopper told them, as Sam and el looked up. "You girls are the last thing they need right now. You're both gonna see them. Soon. And not just in that little head of yours. Your each gonna see them in real life. I feel like I'm making progress with these people." Hopper explained. Sam stared up at him, feeling her anger surface.

"Friends don't lie." Sam told him. "What?" Hopper asked, confused. "You say "soon" on day 21. You say "soon" on day 205." El started, her voice growing more louder as she spoke. "You now say "soon" on day 326?" Sam asked, her pupils dilating. "What is this?" Hopper questioned, "You two counting the days now like your both some kind of prisoners?" Hopper asked, fixing his shirt.

"When is "soon"?" El demanded. "Soon is when..it's not dangerous anymore." Hopper answered, glancing at them before going back to his button. "When?" Sam asked, her hands folded. "I don't know." Hopper shook his head. "On day 500?" Sam asked, "I don't know." Hopper told her.

"On day 600?"

"I don't know."

"Day 700? Day 800?"

"No!" Hopper exclaimed at el and Sam who voices raised. "We need to see them! Tell us!" Sam yelled at him. "I said I—"

The entire plate of food went flying at Hopper, the cream splattering on his clothes and a bit on his face. "Oh! Shit! Shit!" Hopper yelled. "Friends don't lie!" El exclaimed as Sam yelled, "Your full of shit!"

They both stormed to their room, and with the flick of el's hand, the door slammed shut. Leaving hopper to kick the table in anger.

[][][]