THE CASE OF THE MISSING LIFEGUARD

SAM LOOKED THROUGH magazines. She bobbed her head up and down to the music as max pranced around the room. "Oh, you found Ralph macchio." Max said and kneeled down on the ground next to the bed.

   Sam looked up from her magazine and looked At max. "Macchio?" El asked and max nodded. "Yeah, he's the karate Kid."

   "Hai-yah!" Max did a example of chopping something. The girls giggled, Sam playfully rolling her eyes. "He's so hot, right?" Max asked but Sam only frowned.

   Lucas is hot, Sam thought. "I bet he's an amazing kisser, too." Max smirked. Sam and el gave her an incredulous look. "Hey, uh..is mike a good kisser?" Max asked with her eyebrows raised, Sitting on the bed now.

   Sam laughed at el. Max glanced over her shoulder, "Is Lucas?"

   Blood rushed to Sams cheeks. She tried to cover her face, as max giggled. "I don't know." Both girls answered.

   "Mike was my first boyfriend." El told max, setting her magazine aside. Max smirked, "Ex-boyfriend."

   Els eyes casted downwards, she didn't know how to feel after the breakup. Was she happy or was she sad?

   "Hey, don't wot about it. Okay? He'll come crawling back to you in no time, begging for forgiveness. I guarantee you, him and Lucas are, like, totally wallowing I'm self pity and misery right now. They're like, oh, I hope they take us back." Max ranted with a smile which made el laugh and Sam frown. She hadn't broke up with Lucas.

   "God, what I wouldn't give to see their stupid faces." Max chuckled. Sam pursed her lips, and el thought for a moment. "What is it?" Max asked, seeming to notice the silence.

[][][]

   El put on a blindfold, while Sam sat next to her, closing her eyes. Max hurriedly—after pacing the radio on static—sat on the bed. "Is this really gonna work?" Max asked. El nodded.

   "Holy shit, this is insane."

   "Max." Was all Sam said. Max was silenced quickly by her saying her nickname instead of her full name. "Yeah, quiet. I'm sorry." Max nodded.

   It was a while before Sam was pulled into the loop, standing next to el now. "What did I do wrong?" Sam heard mike question as the three boys appeared in front of them.

   "I see them." El told max, outside the void, but Sam couldn't. At least not immediately at the moment.

   Sam turned out el and Max's conversation, more on the boys in front of her. "I just don't understand what I did to deserve this. Mike whined.

   Lucas groaned, "Nothing. Nothing. That's my whole point. You are the victim here."

   "I know. It's just, why is she treating me this way? I don't know." Mike stuffed another chip in his mouth as he lied down on the couch. "Mike-" Lucas tried.

   "What did I do wrong!? I mean, come on Lucas! What did we do wrong?"

   "Mike, stop. Relax. Just relax. Stop asking rational questions." Lucas stressed, holding the bridge of his nose.

   The two girls were stepping closer to the boys.

   "I know, I know, you're right."

   "Yeah."

   "Because women act on emotion and not logic." Sam glared at Mike, what did that even mean?

   "Precisely." Lucas agreed and suddenly Sam was even confused. "It's a totally different species." Lucas shrugged but he seemed doubtful.