THE MALL RATS

THE SUN BEAMED DOWN on the two pacing girls. Sam was confused. Why hadn't Lucas come yet? And where was mike? El was just as confused as Sam but also annoyed.

El stormed into the house, her going to the phone and Sam going to her supercomm on the couch. She switched to their private channel. "Is everything okay?" Hopper asked, seeming to stand in the kitchen as he watched the two girls.

El didn't answer but sam did, "Yes."

"Lucas, do you copy? Over."

"Yeah..over." Lucas answered, his voice sounding hesitant.

Sam walked into the bathroom, slamming the door closed. "It's 9:32. Why aren't you here? Over." Sam asked.

"Well, Hopper said that we needed to be apart for a bit." Lucas blurted out. Sam furrowed her eyes rows, "Why? Over."

"Something about us being too close but I think it's just about us being a little bit after curfew." Lucas answered.

"Oh. Well, did you get home Okay? I couldn't talk to you because I was crying from my skin and tired. Over." Sam told him.

"Of course, and you weren't crying from your skin, you were sweating. Over." Lucas disagreed. "Oh." Sam shrugged. "Well, I think I'm going to hang out with the boys today." Lucas told her and Sam immediately shook her head but realized that he couldn't see her. "Okay. Well, see you." She bid.

   "Yeah. Bye."

   Sam's face was casual as she walked out of the bathroom, hopper face was blurred as the only thing she saw was a sad el.

She threw her supercomm on the couch and walked into her and els room. "Hey. What's going on?" Hopper had asked but Sam was already in the room and el had ignored him.

[][][]

   Sam caught the skateboard, el standing beside her as she did. Max looked up to see the two girls and her expression turned confused. Sam and el walked towards the girl, and Sam held out Max's skateboard. Max took it gradually. "Hi." The two girls said in sync.

   "Hi?" Max said but in more of a questioning manner. "Can we talk?" El asked.

[][][]

   "And then he said he—he missed me."

   "Then he just hung up."

   El sat on Max's bed, explaining what had happened not too long ago. Max was pacing, but not nervously, angrily and also absorbing information.

   "He's a piece of shit." Max suddenly said causing Sam to furrow her eyebrows. "What?" El asked. "Mike doesn't have jack shit to do today, and his nana obviously isn't sick," Max objected before walking over to the two girls, "I guarantee you guys, him and Lucas are playing Atari right now."

   El shook her head, "But Friends don't lie."

   "You lied yesterday." Sam blurted, then glancing at el. Sam hadn't meant to say it out loud but it was the truth, she had lied about curfew to hang out with mike. "No...That was watering down the truth." El said, repeating it just like mike told her.

   "Exactly What's wrong now. Boyfriends lie. All the time." Max throughly nodded her head. Even though Sam couldn't relate to the problem, Max was right. Mike must have lied to her about lying even though he was the one to tell them that friends don't lie.

   Max sat next to Sam who was beside el. "You're going to stop calling him. You're going to ignore his calls. As far as you're concerned, he doesn't even exist." Max told them. Sam leaned in A bit, "Doesn't exist?"