chapter vii ➵ rivalry and defeat

一✮一

"You know about that Midoriya and Bakugo kid, right?" Shota flipped through his papers as Azami took a seat on the chair next to him.

They were currently inside the faculty room, and most of the teachers had already gone home, so the only ones remaining were Shota, Azami, and Hizashi.

However, Hizashi had gone to the cafeteria to grab a nice cup of peppermint tea for the three of them, meaning there was only Azami and her black haired father inside the room.

"Yeah, what about them?" Azami looked at her father curiously and noticed that he was looking through the student files of her classmates.

"They apparently went to the same school, Aldera Junior High. A few notes from Bakugo's school says that he was extremely aggressive towards other people as well, Midoriya specifically," Shota said.

"And you're telling me this because...?"

"Bakugo nearly tore Midoriya's head off during the quirk assessment test earlier. I want you to keep an eye on those two and make sure they don't murder each other. You're still their classmate, so you'll be able to guard them more closely than I could."

"Are you sure Bakugo would really hurt Midoriya that much? I mean, what if it's just some kind of harmless rivalry?"

"Azami... I think this rivalry is the furthest thing from harmless."

一✮一

Azami bit her lip nervously as she followed Toshinori and the rest of the class into the observation room.

The words of her father replayed in her mind like a broken record, making her feel anxious about the battle that was about to take place in just a few minutes.

She had seen the malicious intent of the spiky blonde when he looked back at Izuku before entering the building. She had seen the vicious grin plastered on his face.

Yet she had also seen the underlying hurt in his eyes, shielded by that wall of hate, along with the faint hint of betrayal deep inside those crimson hues.

"Azami, you okay? You've been staring at the wall for a whole minute. You haven't even blinked yet." Eijiro approached his friend with a concerned look on his face, his eyebrows furrowed to show his worry.

Behind him were Denki, Mina, and Hanta, who all looked equally worried for the girl.

Actually, she could see a couple of other faces that felt perturbed by her zoning for so long.

Do they really care about me that much?

"O-oh, I'm fine! I just kinda spaced out is all. I tend to do that sometimes." Azami rubbed the back of her neck, which was a habit of hers, and she gave them the most reassuring smile she could muster.