chapter xiv ➵ apologies

一✮一

The sun began to climb over the horizon, driving away the blackness of the sky and letting light shine through the world once more.

The birds chirped happily outside, some of them perching themselves on the windowsill of the open windows of the hospital room. The cool, fresh breeze of the air was definitely much more refreshing than the biting cold of the AC.

Azami slowly opened her eyes and squinted as the bright rays of the ball of heat in the sky reached her tired form.

The room that was once illuminated by the blinding fluorescent lights was now lit up by the more pleasant light of morning.

The girl with dual hair colors slowly lifted her head from her father's leg and yawned before looking around the room, her form slumped down as the remains of her sleepiness slowly went away.

"Good morning, Mimi," a familiar voice said.

The moment Azami recognized the voice, she flinched. She had wanted to hear his voice again ever since they reached the hospital, but now that she was actually hearing it, she didn't know how to reply.

Her strange eyes slowly moved towards the owner of the voice, and her breath hitched as her gaze was met with charcoal eyes that looked so similar to the blackness of her own.

"D-dad..." Azami managed to choke out, her body moving before she could even process what she was doing.

"Yes, I'm awake n一 woah!" Shota let out a grunt as Azami suddenly flung herself onto him, her face buried into his shoulder as tears rolled down her face while her sobs grew more and more audible.

"I-I'm so glad that... that you're a-awake!" Azami exclaimed, a small whimper escaping her.

"Azami, you're crushing me一" Shota groaned as he felt his daughter's weight press down against him a little too much, making a small bit of pain shoot up from his still broken arms.

"Ah! I'm so sorry!" Azami quickly got off of her father and the bed entirely. She didn't bother pulling her chair over to her, so she just kneeled down on the floor next to Shota, her chin and arms resting on the soft mattress of the white hospital bed.

"It's fine, it's fine..." Shota moved his head and looked at Azami, who was still crying her eyes out, most likely because of the overwhelming relief she was feeling.

When she spoke again, her voice cracked and her words were cut off every now and then by harsh sobs.

"I'm so sorry for everything一 for the awful things I said! I didn't mean any of them and I take back every single fucking word that came out of my mouth! I don't hate you and I love you so fucking much and I can't live without you or speaker dad! I love the both of you to death and you have no idea how scared I was when I found out that USJ was under attack! You have no fucking clue how scared I was when I saw your condition! I was so scared that you would die before I could even get the chance to say sorry to you for all the bullshit I've done!" Azami cried, tears pricking the sides of her eyes again.