chapter xv ➵ the anomaly behind the window

一✮一

"Oh my god, you can't just ask why someone's eyes are fucking weird, shitty hair!"

"I didn't say her eyes were weird! I'm just saying they're strange is all!"

"Weird and strange are the same fucking thing, hair for brains!"

"Alright you two, that's enough. I don't wanna be the one to pay for property damage." Azami laughed and put a hand in between the two males, trying to stop them from fighting each other.

"Whatever," Katsuki said before clicking his tongue and leaning against his seat, angrily staring out the window in the process.

Azami let out a small laugh before looking back at Eijiro, a solemn expression adorning her face. She contemplated on how she could answer the question that had been abruptly, but not unexpectedly, given to her.

Honestly, she was more surprised at the fact that it had taken this long for someone in her new school to voice out the previously unspoken question than anything.

"To be honest, I'm not too sure about why my eyes are like this. It's just how I was made. Although, my family did say that maybe it was because of the way I was created," Azami finally said.

"The way you were created? What fuck does that fucking mean?" Katsuki turned his attention back towards the black and blonde haired girl, a small hint of interest in his eyes.

"I wasn't born the same way everyone else was," Azami paused for a moment and took a sip out of her coffee, "I was created using a quirk."

"Wait, really?!" Eijiro stared at her with wide eyes, his mouth agape.

Katsuki's expression remained blank, however. It was either he didn't really care, or he was just good at masking his emotions.

"It's pretty weird, I know," Azami chuckled, "I was made using a quirk called Love's Child, which allows two people who can't have a kid, either because of infertility or because they're the same gender, have one. The child that the quirk makes pops into existence out of thin air, or phases out of the two people before combining into one person. The child made is also at an age where their quirks are about to manifest, so they're generally about 3-5 years old when they appear. The love of the two individuals for each other also determine the strength of their offspring's quirk, so forced quirk marriages where the two individuals don't love each other that much are a no go if they want a strong kid."

"Are you saying you're stronger than me?!" Katsuki growled at her.

"I'm not saying that. I'm not the strongest but I'm also not the weakest," Azami said.

"Wait, so does that mean you never went through the baby stage?" Eijiro asked.

Azami shook her head no, a small smile forming on her lips. "I was already 4 years old when I first appeared, so I never had the chance to be an actual baby. My dads don't mind though, since they're pro heroes and taking care of a baby is a lot more of a hassle than taking care of a kindergartener. Well, that's what they told me anyway."