chapter xxii ➵ don't give up

一✮一

"AZAMI, MY BABY, ARE YOU OKAY?!"

"She isn't dead Zashi, calm your ass."

"So being dead inside doesn't count?"

Azami sat in the commentator room, eating some snacks with her fathers. She had decided to change back into her hero costume一 wig and all一 and head back to the commentary booth to spend the remainder of lunch with her family. Well, not that they had much time left, considering that the next and final round were going to start in less than ten minutes.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR CLASSMATES COULD DO SOMETHING SO CRUEL! I'M GOING TO HAVE TO TALK TO THEIR PARENTS ABOUT THIS!" Hizashi huffed as he crushed the half-full bag of chips in his hand.

Shota groaned and grabbed a handful of cheetos before shoving it into Hizashi's mouth to shut him up. He ignored the muffled screeching of his boyfriend as he turned to face his daughter.

"How did you even fall for a sick prank like that?" He questioned.

"Honestly, I don't know. I guess I trust my classmates too much now..." Azami shrugged her shoulders as she continued eating her kit-kat bar.

"You know what trusting people too much can lead to, Azami," Shota said, his tone that of warning. The memories of what happened to his daughter back when she was simply a child were still fresh, despite the fact that years had already passed since then. He didn't want history to repeat itself for her.

"I know dad... I know," Azami mumbled.

Hizashi pursed his lips and furrowed his eyebrows as he glanced back at Azami's downcast expression.

"Hey now, there's nothing wrong with trusting people every once and a while!" Hizashi argued once he managed to scarf down the cheetos in his mouth.

"It's still unwise to trust people whom you've only been with for a couple of weeks," Shota argued back.

"Jeez, you're way too pessimistic, Sho! Stop being so negative, you're going to turn Azami into the dark side!" Hizashi whined in annoyance.

In truth, he just didn't want his daughter to delve into the negative parts of life like Shota usually does. It's not that he doesn't want her to be like Shota, persay一 he was perfectly fine with Azami gaining some of Shota's traits (for example, Shota's determination and logical thinking). What he didn't want was for her to attain the melancholic and distrustful attitudes of his beloved boyfriend. Plus, it's not like Shota wanted Azami to be exactly like him either.

Shota couldn't change his own negative attitude towards the world, since his personality and outlook was a product of the way he was raised and the way he was taught to behave as a child (heaven knows that he tried to change himself, but the most he was able to do was soften his view on the world somewhat). So, he figured that he would instead help change how his child perceived the world if they ever fall into negativity like he did.