chapter xx ➵ break rooms

一✮一

The moment Azami had sneaked away from the arena and towards the commentary booth, she ripped off her mask and sighed as she held it in her hands while walking down the long hallway that led to her destination.

In all honesty, she still didn't know what to feel about being a pro hero at such a young age.

Sure, there were some people who had gained their provisional license at an even younger age than her in other countries (not just in America) but the fact that she was technically above her fellow classmates and even some of those in the higher grades made her feel as if she was being unfair. Sure, it wasn't really her choice to get the liscense earlier than everyone else一 her school practically forced her middle school class to take it alongside the high school freshmen一 but that didn't stop the feeling of unwanted supremacy from bubbling to the surface.

In truth, she would love to be just an ordinary student with an ordinary life. A life without the dangers of being a pro hero, the peril of villain attacks, and the constant fear of dying sounded like a utopia to her.

However, she also knew that she couldn't back down. Her path had already been set in stone the moment she agreed to train with her fathers, aunts, and uncles to become a pro hero, and even more so when she agreed to be sent to the top school in America to train herself even further.

Well, if I can't have a calm and peaceful life... I might as well make sure that others can, she had reasoned to herself.

Being a pro hero was both a blessing and a curse, in her opinion.

It was a blessing because you get to make other people happy; you get to have fame and fortune and could have your name written down in the history books and have generations upon generations down the line still remember your name一 although, Azami knew that a hero who only saut out the dangerous lifestyle for these things was no hero at all.

And it was a curse because of the constant danger and harm one had to put themselves through. If the training you had to go through to become a hero was hard, then the actual work a hero did was a lot harder. Especially with all the sacrifices that came with it.

Azami knew that from experience.

The media was another problem with behind a hero. One that was just as unavoidable as the villains.

Azami had known more than a few dozen heroes who's names were dragged through the mud by the media. Some of them received so much ridicule on a daily basis that they either ended up just quiting the job or got even worse at it because of their increasing insecurity and negativity, which led to even more mockery.

It was one of the reasons why Azami kept her identity hidden from the public, one of the reasons why she didn't fight on the front lines and instead resorted to going on confidential operations and why she simply let eyewitnesses spread her name instead of doing so herself.