One: The Beginning

You twiddled your thumbs and stared off into space as the rest of your middle school class talked among themselves. You couldn't wait to be out, the thought of attending UA lingering in the back of your head. Somewhere where you could become a hero. 

"So, as third year students, its time you think about your futures and what you want to do with your lives. I could pass out your career aptitude test but, why bother? We know you all want to go on the hero path." Your teacher said. Everyone cheered except for Bakugou, Izuku, and you. You knew they both also wanted to become heroes, like everyone else, but Bakugou thought he was above all of you and Izuku was... well quirkless. 

Despite everyone else making fun of Izuku for being quirkless, he was your best friend. You constantly stood up for him and encouraged him to not give up on his dream. You watched his dejected face stared at his desk as your classmates put their variety of quirks on display. You put your hand on Izuku's shoulder, as you sat next to him, and he looked up at you and smiled softly.

On the other hand, Bakugou was someone you both disliked and admired. He always had a bad attitude and a snarky grin on his face but you knew how powerful he was. Izuku had talked about his quirk quite a bit and hearing his analysis on Bakugou really made you appreciate his ability. But he used his quirk to bully Izuku, and sometimes you, and to scare your classmates. Well, most of them.

"Hey teach, don't let me in with these bunch of losers. I'm the real deal but these guys will be lucky to become a sidekick to some busted d-lister. Ha!" Bakugou smiled.

You laughed. "You really think you're that much better than us, Bakugou?" You smiled back. "Oh? You wanna fight, L/N?" He retorted. You clenched your fists. "I told you to stop calling me that--" You started. You turned to look at Izuku, who put his hand on yours, causing a light blush to appear on your cheeks, and moments after, on his. Bakugou looked down at your hands and suddenly seemed uninterested in fighting you. 

"Midoriya, don't you want to go to UA?" Your teacher said. Izuku pulled his hand back. The classroom was filled with a brief silence, followed by an eruption of laughter. Bakugou slammed his hands on to Izuku's desk and activated his quirk. "Listen up, Deku, you're even worse than these damn rejects, you quirkless wannabe. You really think they'll let someone like you in when they can have me?" You immediately stood up, unsure if you should step in or not. 

"Huh? No way, you've got it all wrong, really. I'm not trying to compete against you, you've gotta believe me. It's just that... I've wanted to be a hero since I was little. I may not have a quirk but I can still try my hardest, can't I?" Izuku defended himself. He glanced at you as he said that and smiled, to which you smiled back. After all, you were the only one that believed in him when no one else did. 

"You'll never be able to hang with the best of the best! You'll die in the exams! Defenseless Izuku. The school's already crappy. You really want to embarrass it more by failing so hard?" Bakugou responded, his words dripping with hatred. You walked over and stood between them, facing Bakugou. "He isn't defenseless." You said. "He has me." Bakugou took a step towards you. "Oh yeah?" He said in a low voice. "Yeah." You matched his tone. He noticed how eagerly you defended Izuku and scoffed. 

Meanwhile, your classmates and teacher spilled out of the room. You were left with Izuku, Bakugou, and his two... friends. Izuku had started to make some notes about a fight that happened early that day between two new heroes and a villain. He couldn't stop talking about it on your way to school which you found both annoying and kind of cute. You could see how much he admired those who'd lay down their lives to protect the people. The heroes. 

Izuku's note-taking was cut short when Bakugou snatched his notebook out of his hand. "I don't know what you think you're doing, Deku, but we're not done." He said, threateningly. His friend laughed. "What's that you got? His diary?" You glared at him and turned your attention back to Bakugou. Izuku pleaded with them to give it back. "Give it back, Bakugou." You said. He looked at you and smirked. "Or what?" Just as you reached for it, he exploded it, leaving the cover and pages barely together. "That's so mean..." Izuku started. Bakugou tossed it towards the window but you instantly activated your quirk and a small, light blue, transparent barrier formed between the window and the notebook. The notebook bounced off and hit the ground a few feet away. Izuku stared at you in awe, and Bakugou stared at you in shock. He must have been taken aback by your lightning fast reflexes because a few seconds passed before he spoke again.