Five: Entrance Exam

The entrance exam was approaching and though you weren't exactly confident in your abilities, you felt more prepared. Your training with Katsuki had really paid off and you watched as each others abilities improved. As much as you didn't want to admit it, Katsuki had helped your quirk grow and inspired you to use it in ways you never imagined you could. And as much as he'd never admit it, you'd helped him use his quirk to move around, especially in midair, and not rely on sheer force every time he fought.

You sat in your bedroom, contemplating what the exam would be like. You were still clueless and didn't think Katsuki, Izuku, or Uraraka knew anything about it. You'd figured it would be explain at the entrance exam but waiting made you anxious and doubt yourself. Two days until you'd either make or break your future.

You'd asked Izuku to walk with you to UA when the day finally came. After 48 hours of endless worrying and an uneasy feeling in the pit of your stomach, the two of you arrived at the doors. You marveled at the size of the buildings and the design of it. It was everything you'd ever wanted, here in front of you. Where you could become a hero.

"Get out of my way before I set you on fire." A familiar voice said. You turned around to find Katsuki talking to Izuku, sternly. He was wearing his middle school uniform, like you and Izuku were.

"Oh, hey! Good morning, Kacchan!" Izuku said, nervously. Katsuki scoffed as he walked past you. "Man, he really can't loosen up, can he?" You said.
"Yeah..." Izuku replied. You started walking back up the stairs, lost in thought when you heard Izuku shouting behind you again. "What's wrong?" You said before noticing Uraraka was standing beside him. He was floating a few inches off the ground.

"Uraraka?" You smiled. She beamed at you as she pressed each of her fingertips together. "Y/N! Nice to see you again! Friend of yours?" She said, gesturing to Izuku. You nodded. She laughed. "I used my quirk to stop you... sorry I didn't ask first. But I figured you wouldn't mind me catching you," She smiled. Izuku struggled to find the right words to say. "Isn't this all like way nerve wracking?" She continued. "Yeah, I've been feeling nervous all week." You said. She nodded in agreement. "Well, I guess I'll see you
inside! Bye!" She waved and walked off. You waved back.

"Uhh... Izuku?" You asked, looking at him. He was smiling like an idiot and a light pink tint covered his cheeks. You giggled. "She's nice, right? Come on, let's go inside." You said and grabbed his hand, snapping him out of his thoughts and pulling him inside the building.

You sat down between Katsuki and Izuku in the auditorium, slightly impressed that they could tolerate being even remotely near each other and even better, Katsuki wasn't yelling and picking a fight. You listened closely as Present Mic explained the rules of the entrance exam.

I see... so I just need to ignore the 0 point robots. Should be easy enough... but what if my barriers can't hold up? No, they will. They have to.

You were snapped out of your thoughts by Katsuki angrily mumbling something about being stuck in the same battle center as you. You glanced down at you card and saw that he was right. "You better watch yourself, Y/N." He said, coldly. You grinned. "You too." Izuku was staring at his card and you noticed that he was at a different location. You tried to smile reassuringly at him. "You can do it," you said. "I believe in you." He smiled back. "Thanks."

——————————————

You stood outside the gate and studied what was on the other side. It looked like a huge city landscape, good news for you. Your quirk didn't heavily rely on the environment, but the more surfaces you could use as natural cover, the less barriers you had to make and the less energy and stamina you used up.

You stood a few feet away from Katsuki, figuring that he probably didn't want to associate with you. The two of you weren't exactly close, just friends. But even that was impressive, considering his explosive personality and lack of friendliness. You accepted that he probably wanted to be alone and you had to focus anyways, it was a bad time to get distracted.

"Y/N." Katsuki's voice snapped you out of your thoughts. "I will beat you." He said, determination etched into his voice. You simply nodded, not in agreement but as a way of saying you accepted his challenge. Now, you would have to compete against Katsuki within competing with everyone else that was there. But that's what drove you forward, your motivation.

"Ready." You whispered to yourself.

"Begin!" Present Mic's voice echoed throughout the speakers and the gates to Battle Center A opened. Everyone, including you, rushed inside. The crowd split up, everyone running in different directions and you fought a glimpse of Katsuki running towards a group of three robots. One of them worth two points and two of them worth one. You watched as he used his quirk to rip them apart, one by one. "It's that easy, huh?" You said to yourself and sprinted away. You turned a corner and ended up face to face with a three two pointers. You quickly created a barrier around one of them and made it smaller until the robot was crushed. You grinned when your attack succeeded and did the same with the other two. "Six points." You said and continued on with the exam.

After a while, you'd lost track of all your points. You knew it had to be a decent amount but as time went on you were getting more tired and your barriers were getting weaker as a result. They were still strong enough to contain a robot and protect you, but probably wouldn't last against a big hit. You wondered how Izuku was doing as you ran down the streets, looking for the next robot to destroy. Suddenly, the ground started shaking. Power lines above you snapped away as a towering figure rose up from the ground, slowly wheeling towards everyone that had come to see what was happening.

Is this... the one worth 0 points?

Indeed it was. It stood as tall as a skyscraper and was beginning to get dangerously close to you but you couldn't move. You were frozen in place, both afraid and not sure what to do. Your hands started to shake as the zero pointer, with all its red eyes, looked down at you and lifted its fist, preparing to make contact with the ground beneath you.

But you still couldn't move.

"Hey! You! Get out of the way!" Someone shouted. "You're going to get hit!"

Seconds before it hit you, your reflexes from training kicked in and you created the strongest barrier you could around yourself. A huge, forceful shock wave hit the bystanders, sending some of them flying backwards. People had stopped running to watch. You tried to think of what to do next as you were stuck, unable to move or you'd be crushed. "H-help! Please!" You called out to the other examinees but they all just stood there, unsure of whether or not they should step in. You were shocked at there reactions. Would a real hero help? Your eyes widened as you felt your barrier crack. Pain surged throughout your stomach and a stream of blood trickled down your mouth. As your barrier cracked more, you screamed out in pain. Why isn't anyone helping me? You knew your barrier was about to give out and you panicked, not sure what would happen.

In one swift moment, your barrier shattered and just before you were crushed under the zero pointer's giant fist, someone swept you away from the strike zone and into safety. "Damn it, Y/N! Are you an idiot? What do you think you're doing just standing there like a moron?!" You were face to face with Katsuki, you sitting with your hands propping you up and him kneeling beside you. You put a hand on your abdomen in an attempt to make the pain go away even just a little, but instead, you coughed up more blood. "I don't... feel so good." You said. Your vision was getting blurry and you felt your eyes closing. "Hey! Y/N!" You heard Katsuki's voice calling out to you, echoing, before you passed out.

"Damn it." He said. This hadn't been the first time something like this had happened to you. During your training with Katsuki, you had passed out a few times on days he was extra angry. Though, he'd never seen it happen like this. You rarely coughed up blood and never that much. A part of him was actually worried. He picked you up and sprinted away.

"Damn Y/N. Making me do all the work." He said quietly and set you down in a secluded area, near two other examinees. "Anything happens to her and you die." Katsuki said sternly to them. One of them, with messy golden hair with one black streak running through it shouted at Katsuki as he walked away. "Hey! We can't just sit here and wait! What're you doing?" He said. Katsuki turned around and glared at him so intensely, that he shut up. The boy beside him, with spiky red hair, nudged his shoulder. "Yo, look. I think she's really hurt, ...uhh." He said. The boy with golden hair scoffed and looked at him. "Seriously? You forgot my name already? It's Kaminari." He said. "Right. I'm Kirishima."

—————————

(A/N)
yeahh it's unlikely they'd all be at the same battle center but bear with me haha