Seventeen: Normal

Your eyes fluttered open to a ceiling you couldn't recognize. It was tinted a pretty golden orange color and you turned your head to look at the source. You peered outside the window at the bright sun lowering down the horizon and you instantly sat up, causing a small sharp pain to erupt from your abdomen. You placed a hand on your stomach and felt warm bandages wrapped around your torso. You frowned, feeling like you'd just recently taken off bandages from your fight with Katsuki against Izuku and Ochako. You shifted your gaze from the setting sun to the hospital bed beside yours. Izuku laid there, peacefully asleep. You noticed he had an IV drip attached to his forearm and his left hand was covered with bandages. Other than that, he looked perfectly fine. You smiled in relief and moved to sit on his bed. 

The two of you were alone in the room you now recognized to be Recovery Girl's office. You noticed the lights were off and gazed at the clock that rested on the wall next to the door. 5:45? You sighed and gently shook Izuku awake. 

"Hey, Izuku wake up." You said, softly. 

His eyes slowly opened and he turned his head to look at you. 

"Hey." You smiled.

"Hey." He replied. 

"It's late... we should get going. Are you okay?" You asked, tilting your head to the side. 

He nodded. "And you?" 

You copied his nod, earning a small smile from him. He sat up and his eyes wandered around each of your features, scanning you for any injuries even though you'd already told him you were fine. You chuckled. "What?" He said. You shook your head. "Nothing." You stood up and yawned, stretching your arms to the ceiling and then letting them fall back down. You heard Izuku stand up behind you and detach the IV drip. Neither of you said anything. The silence in the room felt heavy and still and it felt like things were going in slow motion, like you were standing underwater. The two of you waited for a few moments. 

Finally, Izuku spoke. "I'm glad you're okay, Y/N. You keep scaring me with that quirk of yours." He laughed a little. You smiled. 

"I could say the same to you. Always breaking your bones. You've got a pretty dangerous quirk yourself." 

Your curiosity about Izuku's quirk always lingered in the back of your mind. Even since he told you not to worry about it. Now was the perfect opportunity to ask him more, hope that he'd share that secret with you, the person you hoped he trusted most in the world. 

Yet you remained quiet. You felt bad, almost like you'd be invading his privacy, and that was the last thing you wanted. But the pain lingered in your chest. 

"Yeah... but I'm going to work harder." He said. 

You turned to look at him. "Oh?" 

"I'm going to master this quirk I've got, no matter what." He smiled with determination. You couldn't help but smile back. 

"I admire you a lot, Izuku." You said, quietly. 

"Huh?" He stared into your E/C eyes. 

"I mean, you're working so hard to become a hero. You're actually following your dream. That's incredible. Honestly, you inspire me more than any pro..." You said sheepishly, refusing to break eye contact. 

A light blush coated his freckled cheeks as he took in each of your words. He remembered how you were the one who stood up for him against the constant bullying. You were the one that approached him and asked to be friends. You were the one that protected and defended him time and time again. And most of all, you were the only one who believed in him. He treasured that, more than you could ever know.