Three: Training

That night, you sat on your bed wondering if Bakugou would take initiative and text you first or if you should. You decided that you should, he probably wouldn't care enough to set a time and place for your first training day. You grabbed your phone and started typing a new message when you received a message from Bakugou.

Bakugou: Tomorrow. 9:00 AM. Field next to the train tracks. Don't be late or I'll send you to the hospital. Got it?

Jeez... that was threatening.

Y/N: Got it.

You turned off your phone. You laid in bed, wondering how your training would go down. Obviously the two of you were going to fight, but you couldn't quite predict how much Bakugou would hold back. If he even held back, that is. He was powerful, and a direct hit to one of your barriers might even knock you out. You shuddered at the thought. But you couldn't lose this opportunity to improve your quirk. You thought about your potential future as a real pro hero and drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, you woke up at 8:30. "Shit!" You jumped out of bed and quickly brushed your teeth and changed into a tank top and sweats, quickly throwing a jacket over your shoulders. You pulled on your shoes, grabbed your keys, and sprinted towards the wide open field next to the train tracks.

By the time you got there, it was 9:02. Bakugou was already there, laying on the grass. He was staring up at the sky. You ran towards him. He looked at you. "Hey, sorry I'm late--" You were cut off by an explosion throwing you backwards.

"Hey! I was only two minutes late!" You said, picking yourself up. "Yeah, still late. Your reflexes are slow." He said, condescendingly. He took a few steps towards you. Your eyes widened. When he got close enough, he tried for a right hook but you held up your arm and created a small, but sturdy barrier around it. A shock wave followed the impact of his hand hitting it effectively making him slide backwards a bit.

"What the hell was that?" He said.

You grinned. "It's a part of my quirk I've been trying to harness recently." You explained. "Sometimes, with movement, I can change the force of the shock waves that follow the impact of my barriers." He raised an eyebrow. "Tch. Should have been using that from the start." He said and started running towards you. You readied you stance and waited.

He's gonna create a small explosion front and center!

You predicted and quickly made a thin barrier in that covered your torso and face, just in time to avoid Bakugou's explosion. The barrier cracked a little and a sharp pain surged throughout your body. You grit your teeth. "That barrier was weak." Bakugou said. You glared at him. "Kind of hard to think straight when you're about to be exploded." You said. He chuckled. "Go on the offensive then, dumbass." He said, bluntly. You raised an eyebrow. "My quirk is defensive, not good for offense at all." You replied. "You have to be more creative than that if you want to go pro!" He said and ran towards you. You tried not to panic and made a half dome barrier around your whole body. You braced for an explosion but nothing came. "You really are so dumb." Bakugou sighed. "You don't think outside the box. You just keep using your quirk to protect yourself." You narrowed your eyes. "What do you suggest I do, then?" You said in a low voice.

"How should I know? Its your stupid power. You figure it out." He said.

"Well, its not like you're doing any better. You just keep making explosions right at me! Can't even find a way around my barriers."

"Oh? Is that a challenge? Because I accept." He grinned and waited. You knew he was waiting for you to make the first move, so you'd be forced to attack. You thought for a moment. How could you use your quirk to attack? A light bulb went off in your head. Though, you doubted you could pull off creating two barriers at once. You hadn't tried in a long time, and last time you did, you could only hold it for a few seconds. But maybe a few seconds was all you needed. You started to walk towards Bakugou, envisioning your plan. He took a step back, widening his stance and held his right hand back, ready to counterattack. When you got close enough, you covered your dominant hand in a small but strong barrier and created a second wall-like barrier behind Bakugou, pushing him towards you, making it impossible for him to dodge. You slammed your fist into his face. The shock waves sent him flying backwards as you dropped your barriers. Sweat dripped down your face. Bakugou took a few seconds to stand back up again, wiping away a small bit of blood from his nose. He smirked and said, "Better." You smiled.

"See? I can be creative!" You said.

"Sure." He said, bluntly. "But now its my turn."

He sprinted towards you yet again. This again? So predictable. You made another barrier protecting yourself, preparing to block, but instead of making another explosion right in front of you, he used a small chain of explosions to propel himself into the air and over you head, landing on your exposed side. He pushed your shoulders down, making you fall to the ground and straddled your hips. He hovered over you, holding himself up with his left hand keeping one of your wrists to the grass, effectively pinning you to the floor. He held his right hand back, ready to make an explosion if you moved. "I win." He said. You tried to make a barrier between the two of you but you couldn't focus with him being so close. You blushed a little. "Yeah yeah, fine. Can you get off now?" You said, not making eye contact. He got off you and stood up. "Loser." He said. You got on your feet and brushed yourself off. "So what if I lost? I still managed to give you a bloody nose." You laughed. He growled. "Whatever, when I'm the number one hero, I'm going to laugh at how below me you are." He said and smiled with ambition.

He always knows what he wants, doesn't he?

Not quite.

"I feel sick." You said, recalling when he cracked your barrier. He raised an eyebrow. "Oh yeah, I saw you flinch back when I exploded you." He said. "What was that all about?" You stared at your feet, unsure of whether you should tell Bakugou your weakness. You decided that ultimately, you two were on the same team and it wouldn't really change anything. "When my barrier is cracked or shattered... I can feel it. It hurts a lot, but it's nothing I can't get over." You said. "But the more powerful the barrier, the worse it feels." You smiled. "But its all good! I'm just feeling a little woozy." A train zoomed by the two of you and you watched as it make the grass beneath you shake and your hair blow in the wind.

"You should head home then." He finally said.

"What? But we just started--"

"No. Go home."

"Oh... okay." You said and turned to the direction of your house. Before you left, you glanced at him. "Thank you for training with me, Bakugou." You said.

He didn't say anything and for a moment you thought maybe saying that was a mistake. But he turned to look at you. "Katsuki." He said. You were taken aback. "What?" You asked. "You can call me Katsuki or whatever." He said. "See you tomorrow, Y/N."

You smiled. "See you, Katsuki."