Thirty: Start Up

You raced down to the infirmary, past any students lingering in the hallways. As you were nearing the door, you noticed Recovery Girl about to shut it behind her. 

"Wait!!" You called out. She paused before pushing the door open a little and smiling gently. 

"Could I..." You started. Recovery Girl shook her head. "I'm sorry, young lady, but you'll have to wait out here. It might be a while, so I suggest you head back to the stands in the meantime." She replied. You hung your head low. "Oh.. okay, thank you." You said before turning back down the hallway. 

I hope she's okay.

You were nearing Waiting Room 2 when you heard footsteps other than your own echo throughout the empty hallway. You heard them growing louder as you were nearing the stairs and glanced down them to see who it was. 

"Oh, hey Katsuki..." You said, quietly. He was wearing his usual angry resting face, hands resting in the pockets of his P.E. Uniform. "Congratulations on your victory." You tried to smile, but it was obvious you were preoccupied with something else. He didn't answer.

"Where are you going?" He questioned, his tone seeming a little colder than usual. "Huh? I'm going to the waiting room to wait for Ochako... and Izuku. He's up next, you know." You answered. He scoffed and turned away from you, his scarlet eyes still moving to look at you. "Well if that's all... if you'll excuse me..." You said before starting to walk off. But you stopped when Katsuki began taking steps towards you. 

Oh god, oh no, he's gonna yell at me, I just know it. 

He stopped when you were inches apart, staring intensely into your (E/C) eyes. Your heart was beating faster in your chest as the two of you remained there for a few moments. "Y/N..." He said in a low voice. As you looked up at him, you almost held your breath, anxious. 

Jesus, he really doesn't know what personal space is.

"Are you upset with me?" He finally said. "W-what?" You said, blinking after what seemed like an eternity of not moving. "I mean about Round Face. You guys are close, aren't you?" He said. You marveled at his question, genuinely astonished that it concerned him whether or not he was on your bad side after what had happened. You didn't think Katsuki cared about anyone's opinion, but here he was, almost like he was asking for your reassurance. You cracked a smile. 

"No Katsuki, I'm relieved. You didn't underestimate her." You replied, grabbing one of his hands and holding it close to you. "Thank you for that." You continued. Part of you expected him to instantly pull his hand away and shout something at you but to your surprise, he just stood there, stunned. You let his hand go and continued walking, calling out behind you, "Make sure you beat Kirishima so you can lose to me!" 

He remained there after watching you disappear around the corner, eyes wide. He looked down at his hand and grazed each of his fingertips where your hand had been before bringing his forearm up to cover his blushing face. 

"Damn it..." He whispered. 

-----------------

"Ochako!" You exclaimed as soon as you heard the door open. She stood there, seemingly fine except for the bandage that stuck to her cheek. In one hand, she held a new U.A. jacket to replace the one that was destroyed. "Hey, Y/N." She smiled, walking over to sit next to you. "How're you feeling?" You asked, eager to hear her response. "Good! Recovery Girl took care of me... she was really careful not to drain too much of my stamina, so I've still got a few cuts and bruises. Nothing serious though." She replied. You sighed, relieved that she was okay. "Man... Bakugou is really strong... he wiped the ring with me!" She said, sounding playfully frustrated. "I guess I'll just have to get stronger." She stared down at the tiny pads on her fingertips. "Honestly, you did better than most people would've against him... I admire your tenacity." You said, smiling at her. She stared at you for a moment before giggling a little. "You're too sweet, Y/N." She responded. 

Suddenly, the door opened. You both turned to look at the curly-haired boy who stood in the doorway. He smiled. "Hey, Izuku." You said. "Hey. How're your injuries, Uraraka?" He asked, worried. "Fine! I'm almost good as new!" She answered. "That's good... what're you doing here, Y/N?" He tilted his head to the side a little. "What do you mean? I'm here to make sure Ochako's alright..." You started. "And to wish you good luck on your next match!" 

He looked taken aback. "Ooh, right! I do feel pretty nervous... after all it IS Todoroki I'm going up against." He practically shivered. You chuckled. 

Ochako stood up and put on her new jacket. "Where're you going?" You asked. "My dad's calling me. I'm gonna take this outside and I'll meet you at the stands, Y/N?" She said, holding up her buzzing phone. You nodded. She began walking towards the door, gripping her phone tightly. "Good luck out there, Deku." She smiled and shut the door behind her. 

Izuku walked over and took Ochako's seat. "What do you think?" You asked, noting his solemn expression. "Todoroki's at a sever disadvantage because he won't use his left side... but his ice is still powerful. You saw how easily he beat Sero..." He said, deep in thought. "But, I don't know how I'll get close enough to land a solid hit without hurting myself too bad..." You frowned, eyes locked on him. Fighting people with powerful quirks was seeming to be a pattern for Izuku. You placed a hand on his shoulder. "You'll be okay. You always know what to do." You grinned at him. He loved seeing your smile, even though it seemed like you were always in a good mood. He had never and would never get sick of it. 

"Well, you're right about one thing... I know exactly what I need to do." He said. 

----------------

"I can feel the anticipation in the stadium! Aaand that's 'cause the second round's first match is gonna be epic!!" The audience cheered as Present Mic introduced the two competitors. 

"It's the guy who won last round's fight in a landslide and literally left half the audience frozen! From the hero course is: Shoto Todoroki!" 

You cheered a little at the sound of your classmate's name. In the back of your head, you thought about how you accidentally overheard everything about his past and how it changed him. Your grip on the fabric of your uniform tightened.

"And this kid almost walked out of his first match, but made a stunning comeback by showing us his impressive moves... also from the hero course: Izuku Midoriya!" You smirked at the sound of your best friend's name and you, Ochako, and Tenya erupted in loud cheers. 

"Only one of them can come out on top..." You whispered. 

Who will it be?  

---------------

(A/N) 

whoa!! i never expected this story to get so many views, thanks so much for all the support! i'm sorry this is pretty short, i usually aim for 1000 words at the absolute minimum but this chapter just barely makes the cut :(( stay tuned though! i thought of an opening where y/n will be able to talk to todoroki more and it will be in the next or next next chapter for sure!