Twenty Three: Team Up

(A/N: sorry this chapter is kind of boring and not much happens, so if you'd like to skip it, i'll add a quick recap at the end!) 

"Forty two of you qualified to move on to the next round..." Midnight pointed at the screen above your heads which shuffled through various challenged. "Prepare for your next test... a cavalry battle!" 

A cavalry battle? Like horseback? 

"Those of you at the top will suffer the most... of course, that's something you'll hear over and over again at UA. Show us what plus ultra means!" She hesitated and her eyes scanned the crowd. She smiled when they fell on Izuku, who stood next to you. She pointed her whip at him. "Izuku Midoriya placed first in the qualifier... he'll be worth ten million." She said. Your eyes widened and you noticed your classmates all staring at him with competitive glares. Your gaze fell on Katsuki, who had an uneasy look on his face, much to your surprise. You wondered what he could be thinking about. After all, losing to both Izuku and Todoroki in the obstacle course probably took a big chunk out of his ego and his pride.  

His narrow eyes shifted over to you. Suddenly, you were reminded of your training with him before school had started and that time the two of you laid on the grass, staring at the sky.

"I can feel you staring at me."   

You wondered if that was still true.

He gave you a look that read "be on my team". But you weren't sure. You knew about Katsuki's aggressive fighting style and remembered what happened during your fight against Izuku and Ochako. Besides, he would just be using you for your protective quirk. You probably had a good chance of winning if you were on Katsuki's team, but you had to weigh out your options. 

On the other hand, Katsuki wanted you to be on his team, not only because your quirk was almost perfect for defense, which was undoubtedly his weak point, but because he didn't want you to end up on Izuku's team. Not only would you be stuck having to protect that stupid nerd, but you would also become a target for all the other teams, including Katsuki's own. He clenched his fists a little more when he saw your eyes shift to the boy standing a few feet in front of him. 

Todoroki was definitely the most capable student in the class and his quirk was very powerful. It'd been a while since you'd seen someone who's strength rivaled Katsuki's. You considered that you might be better off asking to be on Todoroki's team. After all, you would probably win for sure and he seemed much more level-headed than Katsuki. But, winning wasn't everything. Not for you, at least. You barely knew anything about Todoroki and even though he was very strong and seemed fairly polite, he also had an unshakable hollowness inside him. You could see that he'd been left with some kind of emptiness for a while and you wondered what could have possibly happened to him for his personality to be so... cold. You were snapped out of your thoughts when his blue and gray eyes fell on your E/C ones and the two of you made brief eye contact. You instantly looked away, praying he didn't notice you staring at him. 

Your last likely option was Izuku. He stood beside you, looking as if he were deep in thought and you smiled. You knew him better than anyone and trusted his kind and gentle nature. He was thoughtful and offered you a kind of respect you hadn't seen from anyone else. He was also becoming more and more determined everyday with his newfound power and you could see how incredibly focused he was. Besides, you knew he cared about you and you were fairly certain he wouldn't let you get hurt. Besides, you figured no one would want to be on his team... after all, everyone else would be after his ten million points. 

You smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Can I be on your team?" You asked. He looked back at you, his green eyes widening. He smiled appreciatively. "Yes!"