Thirty Seven: Next

No words could describe your inner panic as you watched him slowly lean in. 

A sweet, searing heat filled you to your core as the blood in your veins turned to stone. You didn't dare move, not when he was so close to you. Your stomach dropped as his scent, mixed with the salty ocean air found its way to your nose, poking and prodding at your confusion. You couldn't think straight--did you want this? Unconsciously, your eyes trailed to his lips that continued to close in on your own, your pounding heart seeming to shake the world beneath you. Your breathing hitched as he was only inches away from you. 

Wait--

Closer. 

Wait..!

As if he could hear the tiny voice in your head that screamed at time to stop, he finally pulled back. Still hovering above your flushed face, he took the time to stare down at you, studying your expression and trembling hands before his arrogant grin spread across his features as the ocean beneath you found its way around your bodies, it's icy kiss freezing your sandy skin. You blinked yourself back into control, your cold fingers curling into a fist.   

"Who's distracted now?" Was all he said as he released you, rising to his feet. 

-----------------

You recalled yesterday's events as Ochako's question echoed around in your head. 

"What did you want to talk about?" She had asked as she stepped through your front door into your empty house, taking her time to notice the minimalist decor... or lack thereof. It was the first time you'd ever invited someone, other than Izuku, into your house. It was quiet most of the time, which you'd learned to appreciate, but it was still nice to have company. Before U.A., there weren't many people in your life you trusted. But things were different now. They were better. 

Ochako turned to face you and tilted her head to the side, her short auburn hair falling down the side of her face. "Y/N?" She spoke softly. 

"Right! Yes! Sorry, I was just spacing out. Uhm... come here." You replied, finding your way around the small, dark gray sofa that sat blandly in the center of your house. You took a seat and gestured for Ochako to sit beside you, which she obliged. "So...?" She asked. You refused to make eye contact, staring down at the thumbs you twiddled on your lap. 

"I..." Your voice was quiet. "How do you... um..." You couldn't shake off the trembles in your voice as your thoughts were overtaken by yesterday's events... the way Katsuki looked, smiled, talked, felt. Your heart sped up, pulsing in your chest 

Her eyes suddenly lit up. "Y/N, do you like someone?" 

"Wha--no! I mean... I um... I don't know--it's complicated." You brought your cold hands against your face to combat the growing heat in your cheeks. Ochako gently took a hold of your wrists and pried them off of your features to reveal her bright smile. Seeing her gentle (round) face made your shoulders fall slowly as you were brought back into reality... before you felt all the weight in your body vanish and you found yourself hovering slightly above the couch. Ribbons of H/C hair flowed up around your face and you grinned brightly as Ochako pulled you back down and clasped her hands together. You were solid again as you fell back onto your couch, remnants of the smile still gracing your lips.  

"Whoops, sorry!" She laughed a little. 

"That was awesome." You beamed. There was a gratefulness in her eyes. 

"Now tell me what happened." 

And you did. You left out some of the details, like the way part of you wanted to pull him in and the other part wanted to push him away and demand he explain himself. There was an undeniable tension between the two of you and, though you were both oblivious to what it could be, you felt it so strongly when the two you were alone. But there was the fact that one of you felt it much more than the other and on a different level.