Twenty One: Obstacle Course Part 1

Following Katsuki's arrogant words were a series of complaints from the other students and booing. "Oh man, now they're really gonna hate us." You said. Izuku nodded. 

"WHY WOULD YOU BE SO DISRESPECTFUL? YOU'RE REPRESENTING US ALL!" Tenya shouted at him. 

"Not my fault the rest of you are just stepping stones to my victory." Katsuki replied before his eyes fell on you. You smirked. He grinned, his piercing red eyes looking into your E/C ones. 

His words repeated in your head. Was he speaking with overconfidence? No, that wasn't it. It wasn't him being cocky or conceited. It was his declaration of war. A challenge. A challenge you intended to take. 

"Without further ado, it's time for us to get started!" Midnight's voice blared in the speakers around you. You took a deep breath. "This is where you start feeling the pain. The first fateful game of the festival." You all looked up at the screens above you as it displayed in big words what the first task you'd have to overcome was. 

"So it's gonna be an obstacle course." Izuku said. 

"All eleven classes will participate in this treacherous contest. The track is four kilometers around the outside of the stadium. I don't want to restrain anyone, at least in this way... as long as you don't leave the course, you are free to do whatever your hearts desire!" Midnight continued. 

We're allowed to do whatever we want? Something welled up inside you. You weren't sure what, but you didn't think it was fear. 

"Now then... take your places, contestants!" She said. 

---------------

Every student lined up at one side of the stadium, in front of a huge doorway that led to the course. Your mind was racing, a million ideas flowing through your head at once. You weren't sure how you were going to make it past all these people. You figured that you could make a barrier and use the shock wave to propel you forward, like in the fitness tests, but it was so crowded that you didn't want to accidentally slice through a person. You clenched your fists. The only thing you could do was sprint like your life depended on it... which it sort of did. You'd been running a lot more to train for The Sports Festival and now that it was here, your stamina and speed had significantly increased. 

You waited, your heart racing in your chest. You knew the stakes were high and there was still the lingering curiosity of everyone's quirks. You had no idea what would happen and it thrilled and terrified you. It was as if time slowed down for a second, the anticipation flowing through your veins. Finally--

"BEGIN!" 

Every student sprinted through the doorway at once. 

"And we're off to a racing start!" Present Mic's voice echoed throughout the stadium. Immediately, you felt like you were going to be crushed between all of the students pushing and shoving to get to first place. It was crowded and stuffy, not unlike the evacuation that had happened a few weeks prior. 

What should I do?

Suddenly, you felt the temperature around you drop. Instantly, your reflexes kicked in and you hoisted yourself up onto the shoulders of the student in front of you. You placed your feet on their shoulders and in one swift motion, ran through the crowd of students by stepping on different people's shoulders, careful not to hurt anyone. As you reached the other side of the crowded doorway, you saw Todoroki racing in front of everyone else, the floor completely coated in ice. Then, you saw Katsuki, trailing behind him. He was using his explosions to propel himself forward, yelling at the top of his lungs at Todoroki. You grinned and hopped off the last student's shoulders, flying forwards in the air. Immediately, you made a semi-weak barrier directly behind you and kicked off of it as hard as you could, shattering it. The shock wave shot you forwards, past the ice, and you made a larger barrier behind you that covered the doorway. But your timing had to be perfect. With all the students you trapped, no doubt your barrier would be broken soon enough and your plan was to drop it right before it broke, to make sure you didn't get hurt. The minute you saw a small crack, you dropped it, causing some of the students in the front to fall forwards onto the ice. You giggled a little. 

Your feet his the ground and you ran as fast at you could, not far behind Katsuki at all. Some of your classmates were also behind you and you were nervous some of them would pass you. Then your eyes fell on what stood ahead of you. 

A group of huge robots from the entrance exam stood in your way. Your eyes widened. 

Are they trying to kill us?!

You stood a few feet away from Todoroki and noticed how he stood frozen in place. You realized that he'd never seen the robots before because he got into U.A. on recommendation. You raised an eyebrow, wondering if he was... scared? 

Then, he took a step forward and reeled his right hand back before shooting it forward. Ice spread from the ground towards the robots before it encased one completely, rendering it unable to move. You stood, speechless. 

What the hell?

He wasted no time running through the robot's legs. You shook yourself out of your thoughts and began to follow him before realizing the robot was off balance. It was going to fall on the crowd of students that stood behind you. "H-hey! Watch out!" You called out to them. 

"That's Todoroki from Class 1-A pulling ahead to an early lead with a devastating display! Amazing! He's one we should-- wait a second." 

You held out your hand towards the first part of the robot that would make contact with the ground, directly above a group of students' heads. You widened your stance as an attempt to keep the enormous barrier you created stable. "Hurry up!" You shouted, feeling your barrier about to crack. You remembered the feeling from the entrance exam, where something similar happened... but it didn't hurt as bad as the cracks spread. The students ran out from the zone of contact and your barrier broke. For a moment, your vision blurred and a stream of blood trickled down the corner of your mouth. But you were still standing. There was pain in your torso, but you were still on your feet and you were still conscious. 

"L/N from Class 1-A has saved her competition from Todoroki's attack in an outstanding act of heroism and good sportsmanship!" Present Mic said, causing you to smile. Then, you noticed that they would start to pass you and you began running again. You noticed Katsuki didn't stand between you and Todoroki anymore and wondered if he got caught up in the crowd behind you who stood defenseless by the robots. Then, you heard the faint sound of explosions and turned your head to see him running behind you. 

"HEY Y/N! YOU'D BETTER WATCH YOURSELF!" He shouted at you. 

You smiled. "Hey Katsuki!" You shouted back. 

"WHAT, LOSER?!" He said. 

"Think fast!" You created a barrier right in front of him, causing him to smack into it and fall down. You dropped the barrier and continued running, laughing your head off.

But this time, he got up right away. 

He used explosions to shoot himself forward before he finally passed you. "SUCK IT!" He said, flying above you. 

Two can play at that game!    

You made a barrier behind you that was angled upwards slightly and kicked off of it. You flew through the air and you and Katsuki were neck to neck, both trying to catch up to Todoroki. 

I won't lose! 

------------

(A/N)

thank you everyone for 2k reads! im sorry this chapter came out a little bit late, i promise the next one is coming soon!