Nine: We Have to Talk

The school day ended and your mind was racing. Izuku Midoriya, your best friend since middle school who you'd known to be quirkless... shows up to UA with an incredible power. If you hadn't seen it with your own eyes, you wouldn't believe it.

And then there was Katsuki Bakugou. He probably hated you with every fiber of his being. You knew he thought you'd know about Izuku's quirk the second you saw his face during the tests. But he wouldn't listen.

A part of you felt a little betrayed by both of them, even if that was a little selfish. Izuku hadn't ever kept secrets from you... or so you thought. But he'd been keeping this from you this entire time? Weren't the two of you friends? You wondered how many times you came home with bruises from protecting him when he could have been protecting himself. And for what? Why wouldn't he use his quirk earlier if he had it the entire time? Katsuki... did he really think you'd be the kind of person to pretend to be surprised about Izuku's quirk? Did he really think you and Izuku would laugh about him behind his back because of it? You weren't--

"Y/N!" Uraraka's voice snapped you out of your thoughts. "Hey! You heading this way?" She asked, smiling. You looked at her. "Yeah." She started walking next to you. "Me too!" She paused. "Hey, you okay?" You pulled a piece of hair behind your ear, hesitating. "Y-yeah. Don't worry about me, Uraraka." You said, trying your best to sound sincere. "Okay... I feel weird calling you Y/N... how about you call me Ochako, so its even?" She beamed. You smiled. "Sure thing, Ochako." In the distance, you spotted Izuku walking with Iida. You debated catching up to them. Were you in the mood to talk to Izuku? Eventually, the conversation would have to happen. But you didn't want Ochako and Iida to be there for it. Before you decided, Ochako spotted them. "Hey, look! It's our classmates! Let's go!" She grabbed your hand and ran towards them.

"Hey! Wait up, you two! Are you going to the station? We'll join you guys!" She shouted. Izuku and Iida turned around. You and Izuku made quick eye contact before you turned away. "Oh you're the infinity girl... and Y/N?" You nodded. "I'm Ochako Uraraka! Let's see... you are Tenya Iida and... your name is Deku, right? Midoriya?" Ochako grinned. "D-Deku?" Izuku replied. "Uhh yeah, isn't that what Bakugou called you? During the fitness test?" She asked. "My name's actually Izuku... 'Deku' is what Kacchan calls me to make fun of me." He explained. "That's unsportsmanlike." Iida chimed in. "Oh, I didn't realize that, I'm sorry. But you know what, I like Deku! It'd make a great hero name! Plus, I think it sounds kind of cute!" She said, happily. Cute? "Deku it is!" Izuku quickly said. "Just like that? Weren't you saying... that it was an insult?" Iida questioned. "Paradigm shift... my whole world is upside down." Izuku said. "Wait what?" Ochako smiled, clueless. The four of you walked down the street.

"Y/N?" Izuku said, softly. "Are you okay?" Your gaze was locked on your footsteps before you gave him a semi-real smile and said, "Yeah, why?" He looked at you with genuine worry and a part of you felt guilty for being upset. "Nothing... you're just a little quiet." He said. "Oh.. sorry." You replied. "No, no it's okay! I was just concerned..." He said quickly. Ochako and Iida went their separate ways and you continued walking with Izuku.

The silence was driving you crazy. There was an unnatural aura looming around the two of you. You wanted it to go away, but you had too many questions and you weren't sure how to start. But you needed to get this conversation out of the way. You took a deep breath. "Izuku." You said, quietly. He instantly turned to look at you. "Yes?" He questioned. "We have to talk."

The two of you stopped walking. The sun was almost setting, everything around you had a light golden hue. Your shadow seemed so far away from his. There was a slight breeze, causing your hair to flow behind you. You looked down at your feet before your gaze met his green eyes. "Y/N..."

"Why didn't you tell me?" You raised your voice a little. He stayed quiet. "I thought... I thought we don't keep secrets... and you were so distant in the summer, too. Is it because of your quirk? Were you hiding it from me? From everyone? Why?" Tears brimmed your eyes, but you refused to let them fall. You didn't want to be weak right now.