37

EMILYS P.O.V

My teeth chattered together as the cold Autumn breeze swept over my bare arms as I reached out my hand forming a fist and quickly knocking on the small blue door, snatching my hand back as if someone was going to pull it off. After what felt like a full hour of agonising anticipation but what really was a few moments the door was pulled open to reveal a dishevelled looking Preston.

"Emily? What's wrong, is everything okay? God you're freezing" Preston's voice rushed out as he stepped outside his door, his long slender arms reaching out and taking me by the shoulders his eyes wandering up and down my body wildly as if he was physically accessing me to pinpoint anything that could be possibly wrong. Once his eyes finished scanning me they quickly wandered behind me as if he was looking for Four.

"Yeah, everything's fine-" I began as Preston let out a breath of relief at my reassuring words, however he only held onto that relief for a moment as he held a firm grip onto my arm and began pulling me inside his house once he noticed the thousands of goosebumps forming as the night air only got colder.

"What are you doing here by yourself? Did something happen to Four?" His stern voice cut mine off as he closed the front door of his house, his eyes bore into mine as I felt a panic begin to creep in.

Maybe he wasn't the best person to go to for this, he was completely loyal to Four, I should have expected that he was going to throw a million questions at me and not let me away that easy. My eyes wandered past him as my brain worked quickly in order to from an appropriate and buyable excuse. Despite the twenty five minute walk over to Preston's not once did my mind wander to the bullshit I was going to have to feed him, I was too busy feeding off my own anger and stubbornness.

"Four's at a meeting or something, he told me to come here and ask if you would be able to drop me off at my grandma's that is off the pack territory, he didn't have time to till really late, so he thought that if you were doing nothing else then you could bring me?" My voice rushed out as my statement came out more like a question only adding to how unconvincing it already sounded, however it was the only thing my brain could muster right now.

I held my breath as I watched Preston's face, it scrunched up slightly in confusion and for a second I thought that my plan was now ruined and he had caught me out, I felt my stomach fall slightly as I tried to search his eyes for any clues, however they remained glazed over slightly for a few moments longer only dragging out the agonising anticipation that was building up inside me.

"He's shut everyone out threw mind link." Preston muttered and I let out a deep brief of relief, if Four hadn't of shut everyone out then this whole thing just would have went south in two seconds.

I felt a small feeling of guilt beginning to grow in the pit of my stomach the more I filled Preston with lies, he was just an innocent victim in my plan that would no doubt end with him being in a serious amount of trouble.

"It's alright if you don't have time-" I began as an unsettling amount of guilt began to tear through me, taking over me and clouding my petty thoughts, my childishness shouldn't put other people in danger. What was I even thinking in the first place? Preston had been nothing but nice to me and protected me and now I was just willing for that to go to shit.

"No, I have time, let me go grab my keys. How far away is the house?" Preston interrupted me as he turned on his heel and headed through a door, probably grabbing the keys to his car.

Bloody hell, there was no denying that I had a strong urge to piss Four off and go to my grandma's, I felt like I was finally ready to face my friends back home. I wanted to do things on my terms, when I was ready and when I wanted to. I didn't think it was fair of Four to have that sort of control over me. I know about his secret now, I'm aware that no matter how hard I wished I wasn't attached to him for life that I was. I couldn't run away, what would be the point? He would never stop looking for me if I managed to get away and what quality of life would I have then? Always looking over my shoulder? Never getting too comfortable in an area out of fear that I would be found? Pointless. But I had sort of come to terms with it in my head. I know I'm not going to get the college experience, the moving out on my own experience and dealing with life's hurdles. I know all that now. Don't get me wrong, I know Four is trying and I should be grateful for the freedom I have now but I can't deny that there is something missing. The feeling of freedom of choosing what I want to do, when I want.