Chapter 21

They got going again after their lunch break. The walk was silent this time. No one was talking about anything this time around. They were walking in single file, everybody trapped in their own world. Viggo, who was walking at the very end, kept on looking at Eos. He knew he was staring, and he also knew that Eos knew he was. But he just couldn't help it, he was worried about her. Not only had her wrist started to swell, the fight with Hiccup had seemed to upset her a lot. It seemed logical, after all, the two were very close. And Viggo couldn't stand the fact that they were. They got along far to well for his liking. Hiccup was always hugging her, she was always giving him pep talks, they were dreaming about the future they'd have together. Viggo hated it. He knew it wasn't his place to say something yet, Eos and him had only been courting for a bit over two weeks, but he just didn't like how Hiccup treated her all the time. He didn't know any history of how the two got to know each other, which for him, made it even wore. How does a Protector meet a Berkian and how are they this close? After all, Hiccup does have a girlfriend of his own. Why did he need Eos then? Why couldn't she only be his?

"Guys-", Eos suddenly spoke. "I'm not sure but... I think I hear water!" Everyone quieted down to listen to anything that sounded like water. And indeed, there was something.

"Over there! See the crack in the wall? The sounds are coming from there!", Hiccup said, quickly running over.

As they slipped through the crack in the wall, they saw a big cave around them. It had a tiny hole in the roof to let sunlight in. There seemed to be a path that lead deeper into the cave. Fairly close to the entrance was a little waterfall, that landed in a small stream. Upon noticing the well, the trio ran towards it. Viggo pulled out his long empty flask and filled it up all the way. He then handed it to Eos, who gratefully took it and finished it in no time. Viggo filled it up again, but instead of handing it to Hiccup, like the other two expected, he finished it himself, then handed Hiccup the empty flask, to fill it up himself. Viggo was officially pissed off.
Since it was nearing nightfall again, the Riders decided to camp inside the cave. Shielded from the storm outside and supplied with food and water, things finally started to look up. However, emotionally everyone seemed completely done. Their dinner was silent for the most part until Hiccup decided to speak up.

"Maybe it's best we stay here until the other Riders find us. We have food and water here and it seems to be quite safe. Who knows what kind of trouble lurks out there." Hiccup said.

"Yeah, you're probably right." Eos heard Viggo scoff under his breath. „What is it?" she asked.

„You always seem to agree." Viggos tone almost poisonous.

„You have a problem with us getting along?" Hiccup was already getting annoyed

„All I am saying is, that you do not need to get this close." Viggo tried to sound nonchalant but failed miserably. He was more than angry.

I am not getting to close to Eos. Besides, I'm not doing anything Eos doesn't't want." Hiccup retorted.

„But as far as I recall, you are betrothed to young Miss Hofferson. Why get involved with Eos?" Viggo answered.

Hiccup's eyes went wide at that. If there was one around, he'd flip a table. „I'm not involved with anyone but Astrid, okay? And that is not what I meant when I said that it wasn't me who is getting too close. Besides, even if there was a thing between Eos and I, which there isn't, why do youcare?"

„Why do you bother asking? Oh, no wait, don't answer that. Your anger and misinterpretation speak volumes." Viggo said this so coldly, seriously believing that Hiccup had feelings for his girlfriend and considering if she had feelings for him too.