Part twenty four

Jameel was getting stressed. The police were going to question him, and ultimately find out about his nighttime visit to his ex. He didn't care about that. What he cared about was Aaliyah would find out, and it might stress her or the baby out. Also, she would be angry that he never told her. She might not believe nothing happened, because he hadn't told her straight away. He didn't want anything happening to Aaliyah or his baby. He couldn't live without either of them. It frightened him how much he loved his unborn child. 

Aaliyah came and squeezed his hand. "It'll be ok." Jameel smiled and kissed her head. Aaliyah had so much faith in him, he realised, but would this trust be there after she learned about the visit? He shuddered at the thought of losing Aaliyah. She and the baby were his everything. Was his ex going to have the last laugh?

The next day, Jameel was called in for questioning. As he had feared, the police knew all about his midnight visit. They were very interested as to why he went there.

"She was causing problems between me and my wife, and threatening her, so I told her to stop."

"Is that all?"

"What are you suggesting? That I killed her? I couldn't have, because I was on honeymoon."

"Actually, we found out she was killed the night you visited. Her body lay undiscovered, until a few days ago."

Jameel was shocked. If he had stayed a bit longer, he might of prevented her murder. The police let him go, saying they might call him back. Jameel knew he had to tell Aaliyah everything, before she found out. He entered the flat, and sat next to Aaliyah.

"Jameel, What's wrong?"

"The police told me she's been dead for a while now. They've only just found her body."

"Oh my God!"

"Aaliyah, I have to tell you something. I should of told you before, but I didn't see the significance."

"What's wrong?"

"Aaliyah, when she threatened you, I felt angry. So I visited her at night to tell her to back off."

"And?"

"And that was when she was killed."

Aaliyah fled and ran upstairs. Jameel followed her. "You don't think I killed her?" "I don't know what to think. I'm angry that you didn't tell me. Jameel, you promised after last time no more secrets. You know how hard it is for me to trust people." "Don't let this come between us." "I need time to think. I'm going to sleep in the guest room." Jameel sighed as he watched her leave. Had his ex kept her promise and ruined everything between them?