Chapter 7

-Colby-

I turned a corner only to regret it, traffic stretched from here to Timbuktu and I realized we weren't going anywhere for a while. I swore quietly and leaned on my hand, no point in getting angry over it. I rubbed my eyes feeling the exhaustion of being up all night; I didn't sleep a wink last night. I found myself tossing and turning thinking about Brooke when the idea to take her to the Hollywood sign crossed my mind. I felt bad waking her up, but I wanted her to see the sunrise from up there, and I wanted to finally just get everything off my chest. Sam told me he explained to Brooke that I liked her, and I was mad at first but he told me that Brooke felt the same way but didn't know how to approach me about it, so I wasn't as mad.

I glanced at Brooke, and smiled when I saw she was asleep. She had tucked up her legs to the side, leaning her head against the seat, out cold. I reached over and moved her hair out of her face, tucking it behind her ear. She didn't flinch, but the corner of her mouth curled upward a bit into a slight smile. I had to restrain myself from freaking out over how cute she looked in that moment.

A car honked at me and I looked forward, realizing the traffic had moved forward like 10 feet. I rolled my eyes then let the car inch forward as slowly as I could, just to tick off the person who honked at me. I stopped again and sighed, rubbing my forehead, as I felt a headache coming on--probably from the lack of sleep. I began to wonder if I'd be able to stay awake through this drive. I looked over at Brooke who was still asleep, but one of her legs slipped off the seat and rested on the floor. I started thinking I should put the car in park and put her seat back for her so she doesn't end up losing feeling her legs. I looked at the leg tucked up, and saw the scrape from when we went to the barn a couple weeks ago, it looked to be scarring over.

As I thought about waking her, she winced and opened her eyes suddenly, groaning and slowly stretched out her tucked up leg. I chuckled a bit.

"I was just about to wake you," I said. "That didn't look very comfortable."

"No kidding," Her sleepy voice mumbled as she rubbed her leg. I assumed she lost feeling.

"There's a lever on the side, pull up on it and the seat will go back," I told her. Still half-awake, she reached down and the seat went back. As soon as she relaxed again she was out. I laughed and reached into the back seat, grabbing a sweatshirt I left in here, and draped it over her legs. When I looked ahead again, the traffic started moving so I lifted my foot off the break and eased forward, before stopping again.

I glanced over at Brooke again when she made a small sound, and watched her pull her legs up, and lean to the other side, her knees resting against the door. I smiled and adjusted the sweatshirt over her a bit then leaned back over into my seat. I watched her a moment to make sure she didn't wake up. Her face was completely relaxed as she slept, but it almost looked like she had a slight smile to that relaxed expression. Her lips parted a bit as she took a deep breath and relaxed again. I blushed furiously and turned away from her, watching the traffic ahead.

I remember sitting up there with her at the Hollywood sign, and looking at her, thinking to myself "just kiss her!" But I never did. It didn't feel like the right time yet. Though I wanted to, badly, I held my ground and decided to wait. It's too soon, and I don't want to mess this up. Brooke is willing to take this as slowly as I need to, to work out my feelings and figure things out. I don't want to let her down.

My phone suddenly started buzzing and I picked up, seeing Sam's name light up. I guess he never went back to sleep after he texted me this morning. I answered.

"Hey, bro."

"Hey, Colby. Are you and Brooke back yet?" Sam asked.

"No not yet, we're stuck in Hollywood traffic. I'm surprised because it's so early in the morning."