Epilogue: Read A/N at the end

-Brooke-

I started the camera and sat down. I looked at my hands, my thumb running over the first ring Colby got me, almost a year ago now. I looked back up at the camera and smiled.

"So it's been about 2 weeks since the video of Colby's proposal went viral," I started. "It's definitely been a crazy two weeks. I want to explain my tweet though about how Colby and I aren't engaged." I hesitated a moment before continuing. "Colby and I are still together, and very happy. We do plan to get married one day, but it's not gonna be in the near future. It's...more far away than that. It's not that I don't love Colby, or that I wanted to break up. I want to marry him, very much. It literally tore me to shreds having to turn him down, and I almost decided against saying no because I wanted that so badly. But," I swallowed before continuing. "The reality is that I'm not ready to get married. There's a lot that goes into planning a wedding, and a reception, then a honeymoon, but not just that...marriage is a very, very big thing. It's not just marrying your best friend and living a happy life, it's facing problems together, facing financial issues, working with each other's careers, and possibly starting a family and I'm not ready for any of that yet." 

I looked at the ring again, feeling a lump form in my throat, and tears threatening to spill over. I took a few minutes to compose myself before continuing.

"I said yes on stage because I didn't want to embarrass Colby, because I knew how badly that would have gone, and I also was convincing myself that I was ready," I continued, thinking back to the concert. "I talked to Colby that night about it."

..

"What?" He exhaled, hurt written across his face. A sob escaped my throat as I continued speaking.

"I'm so sorry Colby."

"I don't understand," He said softly. He leaned closer, dropping his hands from my face and to my waist. "Brooke what do you mean you can't?"

I had to compose myself before answering, once I stopped sobbing and got my breathing under control I began to explain.

"Colby, I want to marry you," I started. "I really do."

"But?"

"But I can't," I told him.

"Why-"

"I'm not ready. No matter how badly I want to be, I'm not," I interjected, he quieted down and just let me explain. "My whole life has been revolved around other people, including my love for music and performing. Everything I did was for other people, and music was tainted to me for years. I'm finally enjoying music again for myself, and finding my love for performing and making a name for myself. I have goals to raise money and send them to charities, 75% of the money I earned from this tour is going towards helping kids who can't afford surgeries they need to save their lives." I took a breath watching his expression. "I'm finally doing things for myself, and learning how to enjoy this part of my life without thinking of what everyone else is thinking." I looked at my hand and removed the ring from my finger and handed it back to him. "I'm not ready to get married. I want to focus on what I have right now, and learn to enjoy the things I have currently, before making a change like this. I love you with all of my heart, Colby, and I want to do this right. And if I'm going to do this right, then I have to wait to marry you, so we aren't unhappy the rest of our lives." I dropped the ring in his palm gently, closing his fingers over it. He nodded a bit, processing my words. He then lifted his head and met my eyes.

"Okay," He whispered. "Okay. You're right."

"Are you okay?" I asked. He thought a moment but nodded.

"Yeah, I am actually."

"Are you angry?"

He laughed a bit and leaned down to kiss me again. "No not even a little bit."

"Why are you handling this so well?"

He pulled back and tucked my hair behind my ear. "Because this is important to you. And it would be wrong of me to force you into this if you don't feel ready."

"Are you gonna break up with me?" I asked, panicked. He laughed and took my hands.

"No, no, definitely not."

"But-"

"Brooke," He said seriously, making me meet his gaze. "I love you. You mean everything to me. And if you don't feel ready to get married, then that's okay. You're thinking of how getting married right now would just ruin our relationship because of how early you are into your career and you're absolutely right."

"Really?"

"Yes, you're right. You're about to start working on an album, you're probably going to go on tour for that. Let's wait until you're adjusted to your life, and things are getting easier to handle, then we can talk about getting married. And we can talk about it together instead of me just surprising you on stage," He bargained, holding my hand. I sighed in relief and leaned into his shoulder.

"I'm so so glad you aren't angry."

"I can't be angry when you make good points," He chuckled softly, kissing my head. We stayed like that a little while before her shifted and looked down at me.

"Now can we PLEASE have sex before I lose my mind?"

I laughed. "Yes, we can, now that I'm not internally freaking out."

...

"So we aren't getting married now. But marriage is in our future, that of which we can agree," I continued into the camera. "We are still very, very happy together and we have no intention of breaking up. We just aren't ready to get married while I'm still adjusting to this lifestyle. I have goals I want to accomplish and Colby has goals he wants to accomplish as well, especially with the channel he shares with Sam. Everyone's relationship progresses at it's own pace, and we're fully prepared to take on the progress we'll be making. We have faced hundreds of things together, but no matter what we always came out of it stronger."

"Babe?" Colby asked, poking his head into my office. I smiled at him, Bentley came trotting in after him. Colby walked over and leaned over me, kissing my cheek and looked up at the camera.

"Recording the video?" He asked. I nodded. Bentley jumped up into my lap and licked both of our faces making us laugh. I wrapped my arms around Bentley and smiled at the camera.

"We're in this together. And maybe we aren't ready to get married, but it's not such a sad thing. It just means we're really seriously considering our future together, and that we can see ourselves getting married in the future. Just not right now."

"We're in this together. Because the love we have for each other is growing stronger each day, despite the trials thrown at us. This is reality," Colby smiled down at me.

"And this," I smiled at him. "Is the best of our love."

----------------------------------

I want to thank every single one of you who have enjoyed this story and stuck with me every step of the way. I love this story with every ounce of my being and I'm not ready for it to end. 

When I wrote the outline for this book, I also prepared an outline for a SECOND BOOK. Yes, a sequel is in being written as we speak. By the time you read this, I already have the book prepared, and several chapters ready to be posted. I will likely post the first chapter night, possibly tomorrow to work out some of the kinks before posting the sequel, but don't worry it's coming soon. 

Thank you for your love and support, I never imagined this book would get as big as it has. Once the second book is out, I will post an update in here to let you know. I love every single one of you, I hope you look forward to the sequel <3

-Nik