Chapter 41

-Brooke-

The sounds of the dogs echoed around, and I excitedly ran up and down the kennels looking at my options. Colby behind me was laughing at my excitement. I still couldn't believe I was getting a dog. Right after I pick out a dog, we're going to the nearest pet store to get the stuff I'll need. 

I took Colby's hand to help ease my excitement. I walked past the hyperactive puppies towards the older dogs. Most of them reacted the same, jumping up and barking at me basically saying "pick me! pick me!" I had a hard time convincing myself out of taking them all home. One of the shelter workers was walking with us waiting for me to pick a dog to say hi to.

She gave suggestions to ones she liked to play with. I listened to all of her suggestions but my eyes landed on one dog. It was quietly laying on it's little bed, watching me. I crouched in front of the kennel looking at it. The tail started wagging a bit as I approached. 

It looked like a goldendoodle, but not as big as you expect them to be, obviously this one was on the smaller scale. The face was getting to me though. 

"That's Bentley. He's been here a while, coming up on a year," The girl sighed. She crouched next to me. "He's losing hope I think, poor guy, he isn't as friendly as the other dogs. He was rescued from an abusive family. The kids loved the dog, but didn't know how to properly treat him, pulled his fur out, fought with him, and the dad would kick him when he did something wrong."

My heart broke as I heard this and watched as Bentley turned his head away from me. 

"The other dogs don't like him either, he never barks though which is strange. He doesn't bark, he never growls, he just backs away from you or ignores you. He's an absolute sweetheart but has a hard time trusting others." Something I can relate with.

"Can I see him?" I asked. She gave a surprised look but nodded and opened the kennel for me, letting me walk in. He turned his attention to us when the gate opened, his head lifting off the bed and his ears perking. Colby stayed back and let me try to connect with Bentley a bit. I stayed a few feet away and sat down on my butt, his head tilted as he watched me.

I reached a hand out as a peace offering, to show I wasn't going to hurt him and that I wouldn't touch him unless he wanted me to. He took into curiosity and stood up approaching me slowly, I didn't dare move. He sniffed my hand then his nose traveled up my arm, I had to stop myself from squirming. He then circled me, sniffing where he could to take in my scent. I let him take his time on checking me out, I didn't want to scare him.

After a little bit of that he came back around to my front and plopped his butt down. I reached a cautious hand up to scratch his ear, and he didn't turn me down, in fact he leaned into me, before laying onto his back, allowing me to rub his belly. I laughed a bit when he did, and watched as his mouth came open, almost like a smile. I pulled back and he rolled back over, resting his head on my knee and huffed.

I looked up at Colby with begging eyes and he smiled, walking in. Bentley lifted his head when Colby approached.

"Easy pup, I wont hurt you," Colby soothed, then sat next to me, holding a hand out. Bentley sniffed it a moment then plopped his head back onto my knee, I wondered if he could smell Colby on me which is why he isn't threatened by his presence.

I looked back the girl. "How much for him?"

She seemed overjoyed to know that I want to take Bentley home. "There's a $100 adoption fee."

"I'll do it." I grinned. She nodded.

"I'll go get the paperwork and a leash for him," She hurried off leaving Colby and I with Bentley. Colby ran his fingers though Bentley's fur carefully.