Chapter 14

-Colby-

I was still furious after the events that took place earlier in the week with Brooke's supposed "friends." She still seemed to perk up and record the videos she wanted to with Sky, but despite that she still seemed really down from what happened. I assumed she was worrying about what the girls had said to her. I told her about the text message she got last night, and she thanked me for handling it, but I could tell it was bothering her. 

Yesterday we walked around town and window shopped a bit. She and I got noticed a couple times by fans and took some pictures with them. They asked about why we were there together and we told them it was for a video, which they brushed off. Though I'm pretty sure they saw us holding hands.

Today is our last day in Washington, so we decided to spend our evening at the fair. We all walked around and rode some of the mini coasters there, had some funnel cake, and participated with some of the booths and won prizes. Turns out Sky is really good at ring toss, while Kent is really good at basketball. I lost horrendously to both of them, which Brooke laughed at me for. I was just happy to see her smiling a bit. 

Eventually, Sky decided she was tired and wanted to go to bed. So Kent took her home, telling Brooke and I to enjoy some time together. And we took it to heart. I dragged Brooke around to several booths, and won her a couple prizes. As the night went on the more I noticed she started to lose her smile, so I kept her mind occupied by playing games, eating food and just talking about how much fun we were having. It kept her smiling and laughing. She especially liked bumper cars, and was laughing more then, than the whole night. 

Finally we found ourselves in line for the ferris wheel, the last thing we wanted to do before heading back for the night. She had gotten quiet again, and I wracked my brain trying to think of something to say to cheer her up but it occurred to me that maybe she didn't want to be cheered up. Maybe she wanted to be upset and rant about it, so I lowered my voice as I spoke to her.

"If you need to rant then go for it." She looked at me when I said that, panic in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I guess I'm kinda ruining the mood huh?" 

"No," I turned to her. "You have a good reason as to why you're upset, and I don't want you to bottle it up if you need to talk about it."

She went quiet a moment. "It's fine. I'm upset but what is there to talk about?"

"I'm sure there's plenty to talk about, you just don't want to talk about it. Which is fine, I just..." I chewed on my lip a moment to think about what I was trying to say. "I don't want you to think you're being strong by holding all of this inside and pretending it didn't happen. You're more strong for accepting it, and talking about it."

She nodded after a moment. "I get what you're saying."

We got asked to board the ferris wheel so we did, I sat across from her. The ride began to move and we watched the view, and it slowly came to a stop at the top. She gripped the edge of her seat nervously. I couldn't tell if it was her fear of heights, or the anxiety her friends have given her.

"Babe," I spoke softly. She looked at me. I held her gaze for a while, taking in the look in her eyes and the pain she wasn't talking about.

"I love you," I finally said to her. She didn't respond, just seemed confused as to why I said that now.

"I love you, too," She answered back. "I really do."

I reached over and took her hands. "I know...it's not easy for you to talk about this. But you don't have to bottle everything up anymore. I don't want you to. I want you to tell me what's going on, I want you to keep me in the loop and tell me when you're having a hard time. I want you to let me help when you're hurting. I can't force you to talk about it, and I won't. But I can tell when you want to talk about it, but won't."