Chapter 27

-Brooke-

So if you thought that the night would continue to progress the same way the afternoon was, then you were wrong. 

After we watched a movie, we ended up getting into a huge debate about how good the movie was. Kat and I thought it was a really good movie, while Colby and Sam said it wasn't as good as it could be. 

It was intense. Brownies were thrown. 

Eventually things died down and Sam and Kat decided to head out for the night. I helped Colby wash the dishes and put the brownies in a baggie. We got focused on cleaning up so nothing happened really, we hardly spoke. 

"Before I forget, I'm gonna run a load of laundry, and put it in the dryer before I go to bed," Colby told me as he finished the dishes.

"Okay, my clothes from earlier are with yours by the way," I told him.

"That's fine, I'll wash those too." He walked to his bathroom to get the hamper and brought it over to the washer. He started a load and I went to change into my PJ's. I decided the clothes I was currently wearing were still fresh because I only wore them a couple hours, so I packed them into my suitcase.

I changed and washed my face while Colby did the laundry and continued packing in his room. When I finished I came out to watch him. He was packing a backpack with some clothes and a few other essentials. The time ticked away and I felt the events of the day start to hit me, and I found it harder and harder to keep my eyes open.

I jumped when I felt Colby put a hand on my back.

"Hey you should go to bed before you fall asleep sitting up," He chuckled.

I nodded drearily. "Good idea."

He took his back pack off the bed and watched as I got under the covers. He turned the lights out in the room and went to his bathroom with his PJ's--a moment later I heard the water running. I guess he wanted to shower tonight so he didn't have to worry about it in the morning while we're trying to get to the airport. 

I was wide awake the whole time though. I heard footsteps in the apartment above Colby's and jumped every time I heard something move--even if it was just Colby in the shower. My eyes were darting around the room, and I kept tucking the blankets closer and closer around me, as if they could protect me from whatever was scaring me. I looked out the window in his room and half expected to see someone staring back, but I just saw the darkened LA sky. 

My anxiety rose when I heard creaking in the living area of Colby's apartment, and I sat upright, clutching a pillow to my chest, and scooting back against the headboard. 

The weather is changing, Brooke, so the apartment is creaking--that's all it is. I tried to convince myself, but it wasn't working. Somehow in my anxious state I had convinced myself those men from before were back. I felt my heart rate increase and I shut my eyes trying to calm my breathing. 

"You're safe," I whispered to myself. "No one is here to hurt you. You're just imaging it. This will pass." All the words my therapist recommended I repeat to myself during these attacks rushed through my head, but none were calming me. I hadn't had an attack like this in a while.

My chest began to hurt from the heavy breathing and quick heart rate. My head began to spin and my hands started to tingle from the lack of oxygen. I pressed my head into my hands and tried focusing on breathing.

Deep inhale...slow exhale....deep inhale....slow exhale....repeat....

That helped a bit. But tears were pricking my eyes threatening to spill over.