Chapter 35

-Brooke-

The rest of the trip was really relaxing and enjoyable. My mind had really cleared over the past few days and everything was starting to make sense again. My mental state was...about the same, but I made some big breakthroughs and I knew things were going to start changing very soon. My mental state might not be different, but my attitude is. I'm seeing things in a new light with a new positive feel to it.

Lesa has been such a mom to me, and most people might find it annoying, but I don't. Having a mother figure in my life again has been a huge help even in just the past few days. She's been so nurturing towards me, and I spent a couple of nights up late with her just talking over a cup of tea to help relax me enough to sleep. She told me stories of the boys growing up, and her life before the boys. She told me about her marriage and how things were most certainly never perfect, but they work with what they've got and they're happy for that.

Layne has been incredible, I didn't get to spend as much time with him but he was always cracking jokes and having fun. He included me in stuff and liked to tell me how glad he was Colby was dating me--said he always wanted a daughter and with me here it's like he has one. I almost cried when he told me that. 

Gage has been tons of fun. He treats me like a little sister, and when I mean he treats me like a little sister--I mean I get the full treatment including the older brother bullying. He and Colby would team up against me to pull a prank on me and though I was mad in the moment, I knew deep down I was having fun. Gage has been very easy to talk to, he's kinda awkward when you first meet him--something he and Colby have in common--but once you get talking to him he becomes very bubbly and outgoing. I had a lot of fun being able to hang with him.

It's the night before Sam, Colby, and I have to fly back to LA. I was actually really sad to be leaving, but life changes aren't going to happen by themselves. Sam and his family came over to the Brock residence to have a little dinner party together--more of a mini going away party if you ask me.

Dinner was amazing; Lesa, Cindy, and I all worked together to get dinner going. The boys were outside setting everything up in the backyard for us to all sit out there and enjoy. Kirk and Layne got the fire pit going for s'mores later too, which I was very excited about. Colby kept coming to the kitchen to bother me though, and eventually Lesa forced him into helping us with dinner. I hung around him to make sure he was doing everything right because I didn't trust him to accidentally poison something--he took offense of my comment of course.

Once we finished dinner and talked for a while, Kirk pulled out everything we needed for s'mores. Colby's set his on fire almost immediately, along with Sam, and it resulted in them trying to set other things on fire--not that anyone was surprised. Colby ended up dropping a marshmallow that was aflame onto the grass, and we had to stomp it out before the fire spread. 

We all sat around the fire talking, laughing, eating s'mores, and enjoying everyone's company. Out of all the time I've spent in Kansas with Colby and his family, this was by far my favorite part. As I sat there with Colby his arm over me, and a blanket covering us, I thought about how great it would be to come back here with them and Kat too. Maybe my dad and my sister too, all of this felt like home, just a few people missing. 

I wanted this to last.

"So, there was something I wanted to talk to everyone about tonight," Colby spoke, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked at him with a confused expression.

"You okay, baby?" I asked. He smiled at me then looked at everyone else.

"It's regarding about...my career on social media right now," He continued, catching my attention. I sat up a bit, looking at him wide eyed.