Bathing Chamber

The cold air and snow fell down on Thomas and I as we waited for Uncle Jonathan outside of our hotel. We had finally arrived in Chicago yesterday, only now being able to take our time exploring the city. My body shivered from the cold before two arms wrapped around me, shielding me from the freezing air.

"Thomas," I groaned but leaned into his warm body nonetheless, "Uncle will be out momentarily."

He placed a quick kiss to my hair, then resting his chin in the same spot so my face was pressed into his chest. "He won't mind, your uncle adores me."

I buried my face deeper into his body as I said, "not when you're acting improperly with his niece."

Thomas only scoffed above me and hugged me closer. "Make sure to keep your gloves on," he murmured against the side of my head after a few minutes.

I pulled back—not completely, just enough to look up at him—and flashed him a perplexed expression. "Why exactly do you want me to keep my gloves on? Aside from the cold of course."

"Because when we inevitably sneak off on our own to partake in....indecent activities, no one will be able to look at your left hand and see that we're not married." Thomas leaned closer as he murmured, "meaning, we can do whatever we please without anyone caring." Our lips were mere millimetres apart when a voice came from behind us, "look at the snow, Audrey Rose! Isn't it wonderful?"

Thomas and I broke apart just as Uncle looked up at us. "Indeed," I responded as innocently as possible. Either Uncle didn't see mine and Thomas's scandalous moment, or he didn't care enough to mention it. I dared a glance at Thomas only to see him smirk at me, hoping he thought my flushed cheeks were pink from the cold rather than embarrassment.

Uncle Jonathan walked past us and began walking down the street. Thomas held out an elbow as he spoke, "best to hold onto me, Wadsworth. We don't want you slipping on the snow or ice, now do we?" Raising my brow at him, I grabbed his arm as we began to follow Uncle Jonathan down the road.

I lifted my head to Thomas's ear to say, "you're ridiculous, Cresswell."

He only smirked and replied, "ridiculously in love with you, correct."

"What are you two whispering about back there?" Uncle inquired from a few feet ahead of us. I shot an accusatory look at Thomas before answering, "we were talking about how Cresswell is nearly 18. He said he needs to start borrowing my cane due to old age."

Thomas glared at me as Uncle Jonathan chuckled. He then said, "I have some business to attend to around the city so you two may go explore if you'd like. All I ask is that you stay safe and meet me back in Audrey Rose's chambers at the hotel in a few hours."

Thomas and I nodded, and I quickly kissed Uncle's cheek in farewell as he disappeared into one of the shops. Thomas led me farther down the street as he said, "I told you we'd eventually be alone. I'm starting to think your uncle intentionally makes excuses for us to be left unattended."

I rolled my eyes and held tighter onto Thomas's arm because of how unsteady my cane was on the snow. Adjusting to the cane was easier than I had expected and it was even easier with Thomas always by my side—quite literally. I shook the thought from my head and asked, "about your 18th birthday, is Daciana coming to visit?"

Thomas shrugged, "I'm not sure, but I do hope so. I'd love to see her and Liza meet."

"Me too. Ileana too of course. The three of them could take over England."

Thomas chuckled with a nod. "Most definitely. With your assistance of course."

I blushed slightly at his flirting and asked, "where are we going exactly?"